Blu-ray vs upscaled DVD

Vic37

Standard Member
I like the new Panasonic Blu-ray Freeview recorders (DMR-BW780/880) but the prices are so high.
The DMR-XW380 would do everything I want except Blu-ray playback.
As an average guy with a Philips 42" 1080p TV, would I really notice the difference between Blu-ray and upscaled DVD? DVDs would be almost all classical music and opera stuff. Of course the price difference between the BW780 and the XW380 would buy a separate Blu-ray player...
Also, does the XW380 do upscaling for DVDs through its HDMI-out? The manual and Panasonic website don't mention it specifically.
I had to rule out the Samsung BD-C8200/8500 because of its weird timer recording only operating in standby.
One other point, is interference between an HDMI cable and a UHF aerial a serious problem? My loop-through lead would be the one supplied by Panasonic.

Thanks for help

Sonic67

Banned
I notice the difference between blu-ray and DVD every time. I don't know if it's a big enough deal for you as blu-ray means more expensive players and disks but you will notice it.

Gavtech

Administrator
I like the new Panasonic Blu-ray Freeview recorders (DMR-BW780/880) but the prices are so high.
As an average guy with a Philips 42" 1080p TV, would I really notice the difference between Blu-ray and upscaled DVD? DVDs would be almost all classical music and opera stuff. Of course the price difference between the BW780 and the XW380 would buy a separate Blu-ray player...
Also, does the XW380 do upscaling for DVDs through its HDMI-out? The manual and Panasonic website don't mention it specifically.
I had to rule out the Samsung BD-C8200/8500 because of its weird timer recording only operating in standby.
One other point, is interference between an HDMI cable and a UHF aerial a serious problem? My loop-through lead would be the one supplied by Panasonic.

Thanks for help

HDMI cable interference is a serious problem... IF you get it.

It is evidently very circumstantial and unpredictable, and judging by reports, is not a problem for most users.
Most cases have been simply remedied by addressing the location of cables or replacing the HDMI lead.

Yes the XW380 will upscale all SD output.

HD is much more than the seriously overstated obsession that many have about resolution.
It has greater dynamic range and significantly better colour resolution than SD, so it is a significant improvement ... in the same way that upscaling is not.
Upscaling has been over-hyped.

However, HD is young, not mandatory, and the message is more important than the medium, so it is perfectly possible to get much enjoyment from SD sources.
You can always upgrade at a later time if you wish.

I think either route is satisfactory.
It depends entirely how extravagant you wish to be.

Vic37

Standard Member
However, HD is young, not mandatory, and the message is more important than the medium, so it is perfectly possible to get much enjoyment from SD sources.
You can always upgrade at a later time if you wish.

I think either route is satisfactory.
It depends entirely how extravagant you wish to be.
Thank you for full reply. My main concern about Blu-ray is that I could buy SD DVDs then regret it if I saw Blu-ray from your comments and Sonic67's.. Freeview HD is so close (not quite in our region yet), that it seems daft not to get it in a new machine. I think I'll wait and see what gets announced over the next 3 or 4 months.
So thanks again - replies have helped.

D'@ve

As an average guy with a Philips 42" 1080p TV, would I really notice the difference between Blu-ray and upscaled DVD? DVDs would be almost all classical music and opera stuff.
Over Easter I recorded Wagner's entire Ring cycle from Sky Performance HD channel and I still have Die Walkure on Sky+HD (it's all I have room for), so I can compare it with my DVD quality transfer that I copied to my Panasonic Freesat Blu-ray recorder (you can't copy from Sky boxes in HD).

The audio quality sounds the same but the HD original is much sharper and clearer - if you sit 8 feet away (42 inch plasma). From 10 - 12 feet, you can still tell the difference but it is of course much less.

However, my eyes soon adapt to the DVD recording (which upscales to my HD ready TV) and I can enjoy it almost as much as the HD original. The difference is clear but it's not essential to my enjoyment. Except that I'd be up and down every hour or so to change DVDs if I didn't have the Blu-ray recorder/player! :thumbsup:

It's nice to have but not essential, and I wouldn't pay £800 for one. However, at £400 or less currently, the old end-of-line Freesat versions are well worth considering, just don't consider it for too long or they'll all be gone.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom