Blu Ray "virgin" about to take plunge - advice please?

100949football

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, you knowledgable guys out there.
Thought I was a "techie"*but all this has just run away from me.
I'm about to take the plunge into Blu ray and thought I may try a second-hand Samsung PDP1000 to test the ground.
Is the Sammie a good ground-breaking beginning?
I still have my trusty Sony CRT rear projection 51" and wondered (again while I test the water) if I would notice any discernable difference by seeing what Blu ray can do on that ....or am I taking backward steps.
I do intend to go the 51 plsma direction shortly but I was gonna buy the Blu ray player first.

Any advice would be appreciated from all you knowledgable guys out there!

Regards Bill

Why not go for a ps3. You get a fabulous blue ray player for free then! and an awsome games machine all under one roof!

The Samsung 1000 is a very early player & not a good starting point, it never faired well as a player & was not without it's problems, to be honest it would be best avoided.

There would be no real benefit in connecting a BD player to your CRT so best to wait until you get your plasma.

The PS3 is a good BD player as many will testify, I personaly don't like it's games machine styling but it can't be knocked for performance.

I am delighted with my Samsung BD P1400 & have no intention of swapping it, however if I was in the market for a player now I would buy the BD P1500 (The latest model recently released) it has an awful lot going for it & can be bought for around £185. It's profile 1.1 (Upgradeable later to profile 2) fanless so you wont be annoyed by noise, Firmware is upgradeable via Ethernet or disc. Etc.:)

Last edited:
Hi, you knowledgable guys out there.
Thought I was a "techie"*but all this has just run away from me.
I'm about to take the plunge into Blu ray and thought I may try a second-hand Samsung PDP1000 to test the ground.
I still have my trusty Sony CRT rear projection 51" and wondered (again while I test the water) if I would notice any discernable difference by seeing what Blu ray can do on that ....or am I taking backward steps.
I do intend to go the 51 plsma direction shortly but I was gonna buy the Blu ray player first.

Any advice would be appreciated from all you knowledgable guys out there!

Regards Bill

Hi 100949football. :)
Toss up between the PS3 :cool: and the Samsung 1500. :smashin:
All the best.

The Samsung 1000 is a very early player & not a good starting point, it never faired well as a player & was not without it's problems, to be honest it would be best avoided.

There would be no real benefit in connecting a BD player to your CRT so best to wait until you get your plasma.

The PS3 is a good BD player as many will testify, I personaly don't like it's games machine styling but it can't be knocked for performance.

I am delighted with my Samsung BD P1400 & have no intention of swapping it, however if I was in the market for a player now I would buy the BD P1500 (The latest model recently released) it has an awful lot going for it & can be bought for around £185. It's profile 1.1 (Upgradeable later to profile 2) fanless so you wont be annyed by noise, Firmware is upgradeable via Ethernet or disc. Etc.:)

Agree with you paulr2006! The Samsung BDP1400 is a great machine for the price and also condidering it's age. I've had no problems with it so far.:smashin:

Go with a ps3 mate, exellent bluray playback and it upscales standard dvds really well aswell. Some great games around to which is an added bonus ;)

You can probably pick one up quite cheap now, but personally, having owned one for a year, I'd advise you to get something else. Luckily, mine broke down and was un-repairable, a couple of weeks out of warranty, so I got the monetary value of a replacement (which was a lot better than I'd have got for it second-hand.

It's extremely slow, the only point in it's favour is it's easily hacked for multi-region SD. I went with a PS3 in the end, so much better and Profile 2.0 as well, if that matters to you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom