blu-ray v 1.1 and sony s300

S

svendawgg

Is the sony bdp-s300 compatible with the new blu-ray format? I had heard on a forum recently that blu-ray has a new format called v 1.1. I just got the blu-ray player 2 weeks ago and hopefully it wasnt too soon. Thanks!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Is the sony bdp-s300 compatible with the new blu-ray format? I had heard on a forum recently that blu-ray has a new format called v 1.1. I just got the blu-ray player 2 weeks ago and hopefully it wasnt too soon. Thanks!

Hi mate :)
I don't think so,no. :(
Found a quote:
Lastly, a quick scour of the PDF manual indicates that the s300 is only Blu-ray Profile 1 compliant, not 1.1.

S

svendawgg

ouch so that means were screwed as far as watching new movies goes?

S

svendawgg

awesome, thanks. Maybe a firmware update can correct this too.

Beaker

Novice Member
I think the problem between 1.0 and 1.1 players is the 1.1 needs more RAM and the older players don't have enough. As this is a physical uparade it may not be possible with just firmware.

Cheers
Beaker

Greggles

From the FAQ section:

BD-Video Profile 1.0
64KB of persistent storage
No SD/HD decoding of PiP video
No secondary audio stream decoding (primarily for PiP sound)

BD-Video Profile 1.1
256MB of persistent storage
SD/HD decoding of PiP video
Secondary audio stream decoding

S

svendawgg

thanks, well as long as I can still watch the movies i'm fine with it. The tv can handle the PIP stuff anyhow.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
thanks, well as long as I can still watch the movies i'm fine with it. The tv can handle the PIP stuff anyhow.
The PiP feature in your TV is an entirely seperate thing from the PiP on Blu-ray/HD DVD. What PiP on disc allows is, for example, director commentaries coupled with behind the scenes shots, pre-CGI footage, screen info etc etc - basically 'extras' tied in with the movie.

To view this you need a Profile 1.1 compatible model (the PS3 or the Panasonic BDP30). Otherwise you will find there are numerous features that will not work on your BD player.

And just to muddy the waters further Profile 1.1 isn't the last revision to the Blu-ray format - Profile 2.0 will add onlined functionality but again will require a compatible player.

The Sony BDP300 (and all other Sony models) are hardware incompatible with both new profiles. It's important to appreciate the implications of that before buying IMHO.

stefanr

The PiP feature in your TV is an entirely seperate thing from the PiP on Blu-ray/HD DVD. What PiP on disc allows is, for example, director commentaries coupled with behind the scenes shots, pre-CGI footage, screen info etc etc - basically 'extras' tied in with the movie.

Why is it taking so long for the BD manufacturers to catch up on this 2.0 It doesn't make sense??? Albiet it's only for the extras but surely if Toshiba and the other HD DVD players can sort this out and have a player that is fully complient with all the PiP extras etc... What's gone wrong?

I can see that it is the studios that keep adding/changing the format of the discs but surely this was always in the pipeline and that the players should be ready to cope with this stuff anyway, all they had to do was speak to Sony, surely?

Just watched the Bourne Ultimatum with all the PiP stuff and was quite impressed how it all worked within the movie, obviously some people only want to see the movie so don't care about the extras, but still can't understand why BD is so far behind?

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
I'm certainly no expert, but from what I can gather BR was released with the staggered roll out of features and HD-DVD was released with the complete Spec. from the start, mainly due to the fundamental difference that HD-DVD is an evolution, in a way, of DVD whereas BR is a new tech. And this enabled HD-DVD to get a head start on the spec front.. :confused: :D

As to why the BDA released players with out Profile 2.0 to match HD-DVD... well can you imagine if HD-DVD had been released 18 months (at least!) before BR with no competition, the so called format war would have been over before it even started... so IMHO blame Toshiba and MS etc for the rushed release of BR :D

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Why is it taking so long for the BD manufacturers to catch up on this 2.0 It doesn't make sense???
Because the System On A Chip (SoC) designs they use don't support the feature sets of Profile 1.1/2.0 yet. Blu-ray profile 2.0 and HD DVD both require quite intensive requirements: primary and secondary video decoding, persistant storage and ethernet/connectivity. The same reason is why many CE companies have not yet adopted HD DVD - because the hardware requirements are too onerous. Reference designs are starting to emerge that support all this - and are doubtless being designed into 2009 and beyond players.

Furthermore the BDA has doubtless been reluctant to encourage Blu-ray profile 2.0 - as you see from above it then becomes very easy for CE companies to add HD DVD support into their players. Only a handful of companies are so entrenched in Blu-ray that they wouldn't consider this as the logical step. And I suspect by this time next year we'll be looking at a much more 'dual' future.

if Toshiba and the other HD DVD players can sort this out and have a player that is fully complient with all the PiP extras etc... What's gone wrong?
Toshiba was clever on this - they adopted a G1 SoC design but coupled it with an Intel CPU which they brought on bulk at the cheap as Intel backed HD DVD. Ergo they leap-frogged the SoC bottleneck by a good 2 years.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom