• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-Ray US and UK Region-Free Discs - any difference?

Crunchie

Established Member
If I buy a US Region-Free Blu-Ray disc will it give me worse picture quality than the same UK disc when played on a UK Blu-Ray Player and UK 1080i TV? I know how US Standard DVD's have less resolution than UK discs and they also judder a bit when horizontal panning - will these problems still be evident on imported Blu-Ray discs or are they all the same 100% quality, worldwide? (apart from region encoding, if applicable).

Avi

Distinguished Member
If I buy a US Region-Free Blu-Ray disc will it give me worse picture quality than the same UK disc when played on a UK Blu-Ray Player and UK 1080i TV? I know how US Standard DVD's have less resolution than UK discs and they also judder a bit when horizontal panning - will these problems still be evident on imported Blu-Ray discs or are they all the same 100% quality, worldwide? (apart from region encoding, if applicable).

The main Blu-ray feature is likely to be identical in most cases but not guaranteed. Sometimes the same title is released by different studio in different geographies and this may introduce differences in menu coding or other areas. Supplemental non HD features will still use NTSC/DVD. Terminator 4 was an example of this. The US release was Warner and Euro was Sony. The Sony version caused menu problems i.e the film wouldn't play on some players and required an update but the Warner version was fine. I also believe there was mention of some video artefacts in Sony version compared to the Warner version.

AVI

Last edited:

JamesBaby

Prominent Member
There are regional variations, but Ive not had any problems personally. I'm more intersted in the regional variations that give me better sound or picture.

For example, did youknow the UK Phantom of the Opera is DD 5.1. yet the German release has DTS HD Master Audio (english), and the Japanese has Tru-HD (english too) and higer bit rate picture.

Last Samurai is a similar story.

Check this link out i found , listing these kind of variations:

how is the sound in Phantom of the Opera? - Blu-ray Forum

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom