Blu ray upgrade or AV amp upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark31385, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mark31385

Mark31385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi everyone.

Needing some help about the blu ray sound formats.

Currently I'm running a Sony BDP-370 and Sont STR-DA1200es.

I like every one else am getting in to blu rays in a big way now replacing dvds for the blu ray.

Although I'm getting the picture quality, I'm missing out on the sound.

I have the amp and blu ray connected by coax as HDMI would be pointless as my amp does not support dolby true etc.

From what I understand if I have a blu ray player with 5.1ch analog outputs I will get the new sound formats.

I don't really want to upgrade the amp as I think it is still fit for purpose.

So what I'm asking is, can anyone recommend any sony blu ray players with 5.1 analog output.

Or any other way I can get the new sound formats.

If it helps I have a PS3 too

:lease::lease::lease:

2. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    If you can find one, a Sony BDP-S760...

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I'm not familiar with your AVR but does it support multi-channel LPCM audio via HDMI or is it video only ? If it properly supports MC LPCM audio via HDMI the player can decode the HD codec to LPCM and the AVR isn't required to support the HD codec.

Something to consider is that whilst the newer HD codecs can support higher sample rates, more channels and be lossless the vast majority of movies on Blu-ray are 48kHz 5.1 channels like DVD. If you go analogue output from a player this introduces a new set of variables in a multi-channel setup with regard to functions usually performed by an AVR now need to be done in the player.

Results can depend on a number of variables when comparing codecs and often the mastering version makes more difference to what we hear than a lossless versus lossy version of material from the same master.

Avi

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I believe you should be able to get lpcm over hdmi, which as avi says will give you hd audio.

I used the Sony s550 with my old receiver and I found I preferred coax over the analogues.

If you still want one you could take a look at the Panasonic bdt500, as Sony don't sell any currently.

5. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I don't know if this applies to the OP's AVR but IIRC some Sony AVR's only pass audio input via HDMI to the HDMI output i.e. only audio pass-though no speaker output.

Avi

6. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,064
    If you dont mine s/h a lot of the olders model came with analog output,and can be picked up really cheaply :)

7. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    you are right again! forgotten about this, thanks.

8. Mark31385

Mark31385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi thanks for the replies.

Just been checking my amp's manual and as AVI says it only passes the sound on.

I am happy with my setup at the moment but was wondering if I am missing out.

Although and I'm not quite sure why, when I watch DVDs the volume is usually -15dB and when I watch Blu Rays I have it quieter at -25dB as it sounds just as loud.

I wonder if the Bluray player is already decoding the sound via coax?

But when I watch The Godfather on bluray I only get 2 channel stereo instead of surround, so I guess it can't be.

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    If the player was decoding to LPCM output via S/PDIF (coax) would be 2 channels max rather than 5.1.

If the Blu-ray audio is DTS-HD output via S/PDIF would typically be max bit rate DTS which is better than DVD DTS equiv. Some players will also re-encode Dolby True HD to max bit rate DTS as an alternative to Dolby Digital over S/PDIF.

Avi

10. Mark31385

Mark31385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Avi, great knowledge.

I wonder if this is whats happening.

Just did a quick check on Dark Shadows Blu-Ray and selected DTS-HD master audio. And on my amp it showed DTS.

So I wonder if I am getting the max bit rate?

I know this may be a hard question to answer, but how far (sound wise) am I from the correct formats? Eg, DTS-HD master to max bit rate DTS? Is there a huge difference?

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    The DTS HD MA "core" that will be used via S/PDIF is max bit rate. DTS uses a core plus extensions architecture and DTS HD MA core is max bitrate DTS and doesn't require re-encoding. Dolby True HD doesn't work in the same way has a separate DD track that is output via S/PDIF.

Neutralizing any other variables that may affect the perception of sound I think it would be challenging to reliably identify the difference between lossy and lossless versions of the same master.

12. Mark31385

Mark31385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Very insightful, I've tried looking for the information myself. But it goes to show that knowledge/experience still goes a long way.

With this being the case I think I will stick with what I have, as it appears I am not missing much.

Until funds allow me to purchase the Sony STR-DA5800ES and Kef R series speaker package it would seem like I would be wasting my money.

Thank you for your time Avi.

13. white91

white91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You can get something like my amp very cheap these days, then sell it on when you have saved enough for your preferred purchases