Blu ray to iPad

Greg66

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if his is either the right or best place to ask this, but does anyone have recommendations for a piece of software that will help get a blu ray onto an iPad? I've used AOA DVD Ripper in the past to get DVDs onto my iPhone, but (a) it doesn't have specific settings for Ipads, and (b) more to the point, it doesn't do BDs.

Suggestions?

Not sure if his is either the right or best place to ask this, but does anyone have recommendations for a piece of software that will help get a blu ray onto an iPad? I've used AOA DVD Ripper in the past to get DVDs onto my iPhone, but (a) it doesn't have specific settings for Ipads, and (b) more to the point, it doesn't do BDs.

Suggestions?

welcome to hell, I spent ages downlaoding various softwares that eith just hang or they end up being in spanish,!!!

the latest DVDFAB does blu ray to mobile/ipad, but only tried from an image of a bluray disc and had loaded it using a virtual rom drive so not the best example as it didnt work, but it did take hours!!!

ill have another go on aproper dis if you like

a good tip and not just for blu ray, if you can seperately rip the disc to afile etc all you have to do is load the movie into itunes then select it and click advance in itunes top menu and you should see " create ipad or apple tv version"" worked a treat on all my video files, and its free, :thumbsup:

Or if you rip to mkv then handbrake with the apple universal setting works great!

Well it does on my mac.

I'd recommend MakeMKV for ripping the bluray as it is a free beta at the moment and then run it through handbrake. Both are available for PC and Mac.

MakeMKV is only a 20 or 30 day beta trial though. You get full functionality to trial each time they update it, but they have sadly slowed down on the updates and now charge £50 or so for it!

I ended up buying AnyDVD HD as had better features and was only using it for Ripping and not touching the MKV element.

A big thumbs up for AnyDVD HD though, coupled with HandBrake using a custom AppleTV setting!

bpsmith said:
MakeMKV is only a 20 or 30 day beta trial though. You get full functionality to trial each time they update it, but they have sadly slowed down on the updates and now charge £50 or so for it!

I ended up buying AnyDVD HD as had better features and was only using it for Ripping and not touching the MKV element.

A big thumbs up for AnyDVD HD though, coupled with HandBrake using a custom AppleTV setting!

What changes did you make to the appletv profile for iPad conversions?

Yes I'm interested as well ;-) I used to have my own settings, but Apple Universal is now so good...

Hi, can someone help me with this.

Whenever i select a ripped blu ray as the source in handbrake (in either iso or folder format) it says it is an unsupported format.

I have tried 2 or 3 of my blu rays all ripped using AnyDVD

Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Thanks looks good, i wanted to specifically use Handbrake if possible, so if anyone has tips on why it wont recognise Blu Ray as a supported format, it would be really helpful

Thanks

Thanks looks good, i wanted to specifically use Handbrake if possible, so if anyone has tips on why it wont recognise Blu Ray as a supported format, it would be really helpful

Thanks

I've been playing around with Handbrake again for you and have found a way to rip directly from the disc.

Open Handbrake and press Source, Video File.

Open your blu-ray disc folder, then the BDMV folder and finally the STREAM folder.

Select the Detailed file view and sort by size so that the largest file is at the top. This will no doubt be the movie, it should be somewhere between 16 - 40Gb in size. Click open and Handbrake will a few moments to scan the file, from here you should be good to go.

Let me know how you get on

With regards to my AppleTV tweaked settings, do a search for DynaFlash Tech on Google and his site shows what he has used after much testing. I use exactly what it says on his site and great results.

HandBrake can handle BluRay rips no problem at all on PC or Mac. Do as the above post says and browse to the largest file in the Stream folder. I always rip first, as dont fancy my BluRay drive spinning for the 6 hours it takes to convert...

Story so far: I went for AnyDVD plus Handbrake.

Terminator Salvation (first disc) doesn't have a single file making up the film though (presumably as it's a director's cut and a splitter). So after AnyDVDing it, I had to use something called eac3to to work out what bits made up what film, then use HB on each individual bit. Finally (tonight) I'm going to use QT Pro to stitch the bits together. I hope.

Using HB to rip the DVD straight off was a no go - for both that film and for The Dark Knight. It couldn't find or recognise the files even when pointed to them.

Hmmm. More trouble that it's worth, I wonder? Given that a rip of a DVD is very straightforward, I'm going to look a picture quality on the iPad pretty critically when this exercise is done to consider whether it is worth going to a BD source if I have a std def DVD source.

Use makemkv to rip first then handbrake to convert.

I don't convert just for the iPad, but store it on a central server that serves two appletvs,an iMac and two incar systems as well. From that perspective it is great since I never need the disc again.

It is great if you have multiple Apple devices. I have an AppleTV and 2x iPhone's to feed. The iPhone 3G does not read the bigger files so an additional re-encode would be needed for that, but the 3GS handles them nicely. Well worth the effort to see the ATV kicking out 720p onto my LED TV though. Looks awesome!

With regards to having a central server, is this a normal Windows PC or a NAS or MediaCenter setup?

I use a Mac mini server connected to an iscsi San ;-) currently consisting of 2 1u rack mount servers with 4 2tb disks each

I have iTunes always running on the osx server, the apple TVS are fed of that. Movies get processed on my MacBook first with handbrake, put in stubler for metadata and then moved to the network directory on the server which is the iTunes watched folder. It then gets automatically imported and put right and from there on made available. Then deleted from my MacBook.

Music wise my MacBook is the ultimate source. Tuneranger syncs it with the mini server. My daughters iMac and my wife MacBook sync with tuneranger from the server. Each can have your own play count and ratings etc so that doesn't get distorted. Personal devices like iPod and iPhone get synced with personal computers.

So everybody is happy :)

Story so far: I went for AnyDVD plus Handbrake.

Terminator Salvation (first disc) doesn't have a single file making up the film though (presumably as it's a director's cut and a splitter). So after AnyDVDing it, I had to use something called eac3to to work out what bits made up what film, then use HB on each individual bit. Finally (tonight) I'm going to use QT Pro to stitch the bits together. I hope.

You can use eac3to to stitch the bits back together into a single file that Handbrake will then read. In most cases eac3to will also remove the audio gaps that can arise when there are multiple files in a BD.

With regards to my AppleTV tweaked settings, do a search for DynaFlash Tech on Google and his site shows what he has used after much testing. I use exactly what it says on his site and great results....

I can't see any mention of settings for iPad. :confused: Can you please give any pointers.

a good tip and not just for blu ray, if you can seperately rip the disc to afile etc all you have to do is load the movie into itunes then select it and click advance in itunes top menu and you should see " create ipad or apple tv version"" worked a treat on all my video files, and its free, :thumbsup:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Can you do this with an MKV file, or does it need to be ripped to something else first?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom