Blu-ray streaming bandwidth requirements

edb49

I've been doing a bit of testing on bandwidth required for stremaing Blu-rays. I'm using MakeMKV for my testing, and using the DTS-HD audio where available, rather than DTS-HD Master. I think with Master the bandwidth required would be higher.

This is essentially a pure bitstream from the Bluray, no re-encoding to get the file sizes down. On my Quantum of Solace disk peak bandwidth seems to be about 45mbits, with average bandwidth closer to 35mbits.

The peak bandwidth figure is the important one for streaming. I think it would be sensible to add a 20% margin to that, so I reckon you need a stable 55mbits connection to stream a Bluray.

Hopefully this is helpful to others. :)

AbzH

Standard Member
I've been doing a bit of testing on bandwidth required for stremaing Blu-rays. I'm using MakeMKV for my testing, and using the DTS-HD audio where available, rather than DTS-HD Master. I think with Master the bandwidth required would be higher.

This is essentially a pure bitstream from the Bluray, no re-encoding to get the file sizes down. On my Quantum of Solace disk peak bandwidth seems to be about 45mbits, with average bandwidth closer to 35mbits.

The peak bandwidth figure is the important one for streaming. I think it would be sensible to add a 20% margin to that, so I reckon you need a stable 55mbits connection to stream a Bluray.

Hopefully this is helpful to others. :)
Very helpful indeed, thank you very much for that. Saved me a lot of work.

Mouhsin

Standard Member
I have been searching for a while to find an answer to my question but I haven't had any succes.

I would like to know if it's possible to stream a blu ray file from a nas (for example this one) LaCie is the premier manufacturer of high quality digital storage. to my LG TV LW650S and play it from the internal player in the tv? Or the other option is to stream it to my wifi bluray player and play it from the internal player?

MarkE19

Streaming from the NAS is not likely to be a problem - but the TV may not be able to play the file. You need to read the instructions of the TV to find out what file formats it can play. You also need to find out what methods it can use to read from the NAS, ie DLNA, SMB etc. Most NAS units can use either DLNA or SMB to stream to another device.

Mark.

drummerjohn

Any 100mbps wired network capable device (which is every device in the world as a minimum) is able to carry Bluray data with ease.

Mouhsin

Standard Member
My tv and bluray player can play mpeg4's and mkv's. These are the fileformats used for blu ray?

MarkE19

No, MKV is just a file container that can hold any number of different file formats - it could be MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 or any number of others.

When you rip a DVD or BluRay you can use software that will put the files into the MKV container, but the format of the files in the container still need to be one that the media player in the TV can play.
MPEG-4 can be created with a number of different formats, ie it can be either HD or SD, DivX or Quicktime etc etc etc.

A DVD is always created with MPEG-2 video files
A BluRay can be in a few different formats such as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-2 or VC-1

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom