Blu-ray Recorder Help - could anyone record a prog for me

NickCW

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I need urgent Blu-ray Recorder help! My Panasonic Blu-ray HDD Recorder is playing up & until it’s fixed I cannot record anything.

I need to record a programme on BBC2 this Friday evening (17th) – if I supply a disk (BD-R or BD-RE) could anyone with a Blu-ray recorder offer to record it for me? It's Monty Don's Big Dreams, Small Spaces - they came to film in our garden, thejunglegarden.uk in Leeds last summer as part of Fridays episode - and I can't record it!

Of course, a bottle of wine or some beers awaits if you can help!

Thank you in anticipation

NickCW

Good man. I have it programmed too, just in case - as a backup.

I'll only intervene if thegeminiman's recording doesn't work out for any reason.

Great news! Thank you both so much.
If you want to PM me and we can sort out logistics.
I can't actually find a link to PM you. Send me your address and I'll send it in the post monday morning
1 hour in HG will likely only be around 20% capacity so if you see anything listed for the weekend you want me to add to the disc let me know

I'm tee total so a box of Diet Coke cans would do nicely.:D

Actually while I think about it : when I set anything via Remote Record it always sets the quality level to SP which is fine for the Top of the Pops I record but annoying because most of the things I record on there are for HD archiving to BD-R so its irritating having to manually change the setting to HG. I can't find anything in the setup where I can change the default quality to HG or even to DR for adjustment later. Have I missed something?

Last edited:
I haven't used the remote record function for ages tbh and cannot remember whether the recordings were converted to SP.

I've just set a test recording so I'll let you know what happens.

Like you, I cannot see anything in the app to change the conversion quality.

I am so relieved – in glorious HD - thank you so much! Yes, I've noticed that a change of quality recording is required when recording via Remote Record and I too can't find anything in the settings.

The filming company are happy to let me have a copy but only on DVD - how last century is that?!!!
No need to add anything to disc - you can probably appreciate that after filming in the garden last July - I am just so relieved to be able to have the output in HD.

I'd be happy to send a disc (BD-RE) so you're not using one of yours?

The problem with my unit is that my older Freesat Panny Blu-ray Recorder will not see the Astra satellite. I have swapped the satellite feeds between Freesat recorder and Freesat TV and proved out that it’s the tuners on the Panny HDD Blu-ray recorder unit that are faulty, so it’s in for estimate (may be more cost effective just to buy a new one).

Let me know if you want me to send a disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
@NickCW Hi Nick - I'll take out your email address from above. It is not a good idea to publish it on open forum.

You can send it privately to thegeminiman. Just click on his name and choose 'Start a conversation' from the resulting dialogue box.

Actually while I think about it : when I set anything via Remote Record it always sets the quality level to SP which is fine for the Top of the Pops I record but annoying because most of the things I record on there are for HD archiving to BD-R so its irritating having to manually change the setting to HG. I can't find anything in the setup where I can change the default quality to HG or even to DR for adjustment later. Have I missed something?

The default is determined by what you last set the mode to when doing a manual timer recording.

You could set up a disposable one minute long timer programme ( for example) with the mode of your choice and thereafter that mode will be the default.

My test recording has remained in DR mode so that sounds likely (I generally record in DR or set auto conversion to HG).

The default is determined by what you last set the mode to when doing a manual timer recording.

You could set up a disposable one minute long timer programme ( for example) with the mode of your choice and thereafter that mode will be the default.
I'm not sure that works. With the exception of TOTP which are on series link everything I record on the Bluray recorder hard drive is set for HG yet when I then go and use remote record the entry is in SP. But thanks for the tip - I'll give it another go and see how it goes

I am so relieved – in glorious HD - thank you so much! Yes, I've noticed that a change of quality recording is required when recording via Remote Record and I too can't find anything in the settings.

The filming company are happy to let me have a copy but only on DVD - how last century is that?!!!
No need to add anything to disc - you can probably appreciate that after filming in the garden last July - I am just so relieved to be able to have the output in HD.

I'd be happy to send a disc (BD-RE) so you're not using one of yours?

The problem with my unit is that my older Freesat Panny Blu-ray Recorder will not see the Astra satellite. I have swapped the satellite feeds between Freesat recorder and Freesat TV and proved out that it’s the tuners on the Panny HDD Blu-ray recorder unit that are faulty, so it’s in for estimate (may be more cost effective just to buy a new one).

Let me know if you want me to send a disc.

Mine is Freeview HD only. When I ditched my Sky box I did intend to use the 2 satellite cables to feed a Freesat Panny but when I went to get one they appeared to have stopped making them. I don't know if that is still the case. Fortunately Freeview HD covers all the free channels I need and the Talking Pictures freeview feed is light years ahead of the rubbish satellite quality which is the main problem as all the channels on Freesat that are not on Freeview broadcast such poor quality pictures.
I'm still using an SD Topfield motorised system with a 1 metre dish that's over 20 years old but the signals still come in 100%

Thanks for help thegeminiman, once package arrives I'll send you a replacement disk & a box of Diet Coke (sorry you had to 'out' yourself and lose your street cred)!

As far as your comments about Freesat/Freeview - I may well have to go with a new Freeview one as you're right Panasonic don't seem to manufacture Freesat HDD Blu-ray recorders anymore - its the same type of machine but with twin Freeview tuners instead.

Kudos to thegeminiman!

Not only did thegeminiman burn the episode of Big Dreams, Small Spaces that our garden featured in – he posted it out First Class and he printed a screen grab from the progam on the disk as well!

And in return I’ve sent a replacement disk & a box of his favourite beverage.

Thanks again thegeminiman!

Thanks very much Nick. 30 cans will keep me going for at least a week. Cheers!!

Just out of interest- was there anything on the BD-RE you sent? It looked like there was but it wouldn't play. I assumed it was not finalised. But I would have also assumed unfinalised discs would play on Panasonics own recorders

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom