1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu Ray Recorder BDZ S77

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MattDJ, Jan 18, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any material available on Blu-Ray yet?

Does anyone know of a Japanese website store in English that ships to the UK (either hardware or DVDs)?

As it's a recorder, does it handle 50Hz or is this a 60Hz only version?

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    That recorder will not be compatible with the upcoming BD ROM spec discs, and very likely can only handle 60Hz signals. PC Blu-ray drives will be out by early 2006. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Dutch... cant wait for the PC drive tho!

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    These early models are desinged as recorders more than players.
    As you pointed out there is no software to play on them yet, so we can only buy blank disks (25gb) to record on.
    In japan there is a Hi Def channel called "BS HI" and those who have this recorder can record the hi def picture from BS HI to the available Blu Ray Recorders.
    For the moment its the only way to record a perfect Hi Def picture on to something.

As for 50/60hz. This player was made only for the Japanese market without much though for UK consumers. Its doubtfull it supports both 50 and 60hz. But dont quote me on that. It may well do so! :D

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The BluRay Recorders currently on sale in Japan are specifically for recording HD broadcasts in Japan. I believe they record the MPEG2 data as broadcast, which will be 1080/60i. (I don't think Japan have deployed 720/60p but may be wrong...)

They are a bit similar to the non-D Theater DVHS units made by Mitsubishi in purpose - purely devices to record and replay off-air recordings.

There are no pre-recorded BluRay discs around that I know of on sale in Japan - and these recorders won't be compatible with the new BluRay pre-recorded format which will be out to rival HD-DVD. (This is because the current recorders only have MPEG2 not MPEG4 or VC-1 support)

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  8. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As others have pointed out, this (and similar units) are Blu-Ray v1 and will never play future BD-ROM discs which are v2. It is a dead end technology and pretty much completely useless in the UK. If its a Japanese model it probably won't even work with US standard transport streams (the sound is different).

Also, be aware, that this and future units will only record HDTV via a digital input. The future of HDTV recording in the UK at the moment depends entirely on whether BSkyB choose to provide a suitable Firewire output on their HD box. If they do not, you will not be able to record any sort of HDTV in the UK regardless of whether it is to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or whatever.

9. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not true.

You have the option of D-VHS and capturing directly to your PC hard disk. Hence many 'naughty' files currently available on the Internet right now.

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I meant "officialy".
    D-VHS died in japan a few years ago. No one stocks the decks or the tapes at all anymore.

As I have mentioned in another thread, these players are first gen players and I dont recoment anyone get these.
    They wont work with Blu Ray Roms and these players dont even have a digital output. Onyly a D4 (component) input/output for the purpose of recording and playback of hi def stuff off TV.

They also cost a fortune.

PS. That Qualia PJ at 22.000 quid! :D
    Couldnt stop laughing! :rotfl:
    I wonder if he actually thinks somone will pay him what he is asking for!

11. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D-VHS is still alive in both the USA and Japan even if it isn't exactly well. JVC launched a new deck about 4 months ago in both the USA & Japan (the HMD-5u for USA and HMD-5 for Japan).

At this exact moment in time, at about £400 for the (grey imported US) deck plus £2 a go for the tapes it is by far the easiest way to archive HDTV in the UK if you have sufficient quanties of material to need to do so. Most use S-VHS tapes but you can still buy genuine D-VHS tapes, even if the UK, should you want to.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Of course Sky may launch a Sky+ equivalent closed PVR - allowing you to timeshift and record Sky HD stuff only on their box. This would allow you to record, but only on Sky's terms...

HD PVRs are already available in the US, in Tivo and non-Tivo flavours.

13. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's exactly what Sky will do. In fact, I suspect there will not be a non-Sky+ HD receiver, at least to start with.

Thing is, if it does not have an external interface, there will be very little market for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD recorders in the UK.

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    You can buy pre-recorded DVHS tapes from www.dvdboxoffice.com for between £17-22 including del.

£430 + p+p, import duty etc...JVC DVHS player, also available from DvdBoxOffice.

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    why bother!

Its a dead format. It just doesnt know it.

People wont buy it, not because the quality isnt good, but becase its a tape. People have made the change to disk, they wont go back now.

If they had released D-VHS when VHS was still popular it could have been a success. They waited too long and DVD took over. Now Blu Ray and HD DVD are on the horizon.

As for the availablity of D-VHS. I live in Japan (tokyo) and havent seen ANY shops stocking ANY D-VHS players or tapes.

In this sense, it IS dead. Sorry to dissagree so much pdundas, but in my opinion if its so hard to find, its dead.

16. PsychicLemur

PsychicLemur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A friend's got a D-VHS deck, and although the pictures are pretty impressive, you can't get around the fact that it's still tape: nearly every tape he's got has at least one or two patches of dropout, which can only be from a tape fault. And you've got to rewind them...

17. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It may well be dead, but right now it is the only option - and never underestimate the power of no choice has on the consumer. So, at that price, why not?

Also, whether you call it a dead format or not, tapes to record to will be available for a long time (SVHS tapes work fine) to come and are cheap (as illustrated above).

Also, I still don't understand your use of the term 'official' for dismissing PC Hard Disk recording, as if DVHS is in some way 'offically mandated' in any way by anybody. The HCPC is a growing phenomenon, and considering the public's apetite for PVR capability AND technology convergence - I see no reason why the HCPC will not continue to grow in popularity for some time to come.

18. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0