Blu-ray ps3 picture bright red....

Degeneratemoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm using a ps3 on a standard widescreen (SD) telly through the 3-port scart lead but I have a problem with blu-ray playback.

Games play great (though obviously not in HD and in case anyone asks why I'm watching blu-ray films on a SD set it's because I don't want to buy the films I want to watch twice) and DVD's are fine but yesterday I purchased my first blu-ray film (Beowulf) and the picture colour is awful, it's really bright red!

Now this is a problem that I used to have with my old DVD player when playing region 1 DVD's (I'm region 2) and I managed to fix it by changing the NTSC & PAL settings but there doesn't seem to be that option.

Like I say, games play great, as do region 2 DVD's (can't check region 1).

My TV has 4 settings for the picture colour, Automatic, PAL, 4.43 NTSC and 3.58 NTSC. When in the PS3 main menu, Auto & PAL will display in colour, both of the NTSC settings are black and white. When playing Beowulf, PAL & 4.43 NTSC are B&W whilst Auto & 3.58 NTSC are in colour (albeit very bright red).

Here's some piccys that should show the problem:

This is what my region 2 Babylon 5 DVD looks like:

06102008296.jpg

and this (note although it looks a little red on the faces the picture is fine on screen):

06102008297.jpg

This is the Beowulf blu-ray:

06102008298.jpg

and a shot from the film:

06102008299.jpg

As stated, when set to PAL & 4.43 NTSC colour the blu-ray playback is B&W:

06102008300.jpg

And when set it 3.58 it's in the glowing red colour:

06102008301.jpg

and one final shot for good measure (which really shows how red it is):

06102008295.jpg

Oh, in case anyone spotted it, the cables plugged into the front of my TV is the Wii. Also, the 3 plug scart adaptor that came with the PS3 wouldn't fit my TV so I used the one from the xbox, would this cause any problems?

I appreciate this is a bit of a long post but I appreciate any help that people can give!

Many thanks,

DG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom