Blu-ray players help; Current low-end player vs older mid-range player

Thermofritz

Novice Member
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice buying a blu-ray player. I won't be changing my TV yet, so don't need BD UHD, but would like multi-region; I'm looking at a current Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB new for £100 or a refurbished Pioneer BDP-LX55 for £140. The Pioneer was £350 new 8 years ago, but does the advance of technology mean the newer/cheaper Panasonic would be as good or better?

Many thanks.

Loopthrough

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice buying a blu-ray player. I won't be changing my TV yet, so don't need BD UHD, but would like multi-region; I'm looking at a current Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB new for £100 or a refurbished Pioneer BDP-LX55 for £140. The Pioneer was £350 new 8 years ago, but does the advance of technology mean the newer/cheaper Panasonic would be as good or better?

Many thanks.
PQ's the same on all BDPs, as was proven years ago by DigitalVersus. The only difference could be in DVD/USB media upscaling, and even then all big brands are equal.

What's different is the drives in newer models are slightly less robust (negligible), but I would not go for the 8 year old Pioneer over a brand new model.

There's a nicer looking Panasonic here with a front display:

gibbsy

@Thermofritz I have moved your question to this board as you are more likely to get further answers.

IntelliVolume

PQ's the same on all BDPs, as was proven years ago by DigitalVersus. The only difference could be in DVD/USB media upscaling, and even then all big brands are equal.
That last statement regarding DVD upscaling -- even BLU-RAY upscaling to UHD/4K -- isn't exactly accurate. I owned a Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which was an Oppo UDP-203 clone, before my Panasonic UB9000, and the DVD upscaling on that machine was far superior than the Panasonic's (and we watch a LOT of DVDs, on an almost daily basis, so I would know).

Going back even further, the Oppo BDP-83, that company's first BD player, blew ALL of these current players out of the water with its superior DVD scaling via the Anchor Bay VRS chipset at its heart. They're really not equal in this regard, as, contrary to popular belief, 480i de-interlacing and scaling to 2160p resolution is NOT easy for a processor.

When you mentioned "all big brands," it is remotely possible that, say, the cheap LGs and Sonys are on par with the Panasonics, but I don't have any firsthand experience with those brands. I DO know that there WERE other manufacturers, such as Oppo and Cambridge, offering players that exhibited better DVD upscaling to UHD; in the case of the newer Panasonics carrying the HCX processor, these machines tend to scale Blu-rays to 4K better than most others (even my Cambridge CXUHD) due to its superior chroma upsampling algorithm.
What's different is the drives in newer models are slightly less robust (negligible), but I would not go for the 8 year old Pioneer over a brand new model.

There's a nicer looking Panasonic here with a front display:

Is that Panasonic only available in the UK?

It's the first I'm seeing as a new offering with an actual front display (models beneath the 820, at least).

Kapkirk

That last statement regarding DVD upscaling -- even BLU-RAY upscaling to UHD/4K -- isn't exactly accurate. I owned a Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which was an Oppo UDP-203 clone, before my Panasonic UB9000, and the DVD upscaling on that machine was far superior than the Panasonic's (and we watch a LOT of DVDs, on an almost daily basis, so I would know).

Going back even further, the Oppo BDP-83, that company's first BD player, blew ALL of these current players out of the water with its superior DVD scaling via the Anchor Bay VRS chipset at its heart. They're really not equal in this regard, as, contrary to popular belief, 480i de-interlacing and scaling to 2160p resolution is NOT easy for a processor.

When you mentioned "all big brands," it is remotely possible that, say, the cheap LGs and Sonys are on par with the Panasonics, but I don't have any firsthand experience with those brands. I DO know that there WERE other manufacturers, such as Oppo and Cambridge, offering players that exhibited better DVD upscaling to UHD; in the case of the newer Panasonics carrying the HCX processor, these machines tend to scale Blu-rays to 4K better than most others (even my Cambridge CXUHD) due to its superior chroma upsampling algorithm.

Is that Panasonic only available in the UK?

It's the first I'm seeing as a new offering with an actual front display (models beneath the 820, at least).

You are not wrong about the picture quality of the Cambridge CXU's, it sublime. I have the NON UHD version of the CXU with Darbee Visual Presence Technology and the extra wolfson audio chips etc, it produces a far better image and sound than my old panasonic and Sony players, It's hard to describe actually, Comparing it with my old Sony s7200 it's like a veil has been removed from the screen or you just upgraded your spectacles to super high quality Carl Zeiss lenses, it just looks incredible with Bluray and HD files played from my USB drive, and the picture motion is handled impeccably, Movement is so fluid too, along with superb colour accuracy, and superb sound quality.
I would go as far as it looks better than 4K streams from Prime and Netflix. A couple of weeks back I was watching Lord of the rings on normal DVD and in some parts it looked blu ray quality. . I will definitely not be selling it EVER, it's such a versatile bit of kit. and brilliant. I paid £800 for it but have seen them SH for about £400 and its easily the best player I've ever had.

Kapkirk

YDZVCMDFtgVqZCtNbaiiag.gif

IntelliVolume

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom