Blu Ray Player wont play latest titles

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by slinger, Aug 9, 2013.

1. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I bought a Blu ray player (Technika BRSS10) from another member of these forums a few months back and not really had the chance to use it, that is up until now. I had bought Skyfall a few weeks ago and last night got the chance to sit down and watch it.... or so I thought. The disc took ages to load, played the MGM screen and then froze. To cut a long story short it turns out there have been no firmware updates for this player since March 2012 and this is the reply I have just received from Tesco support regarding it, to which I may add I am quite angry about! :

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your mail and I am sorry to hear that you are having issues playing your Blu-Ray discs.

Unfortunately there are no further updates to the BRSS10 since the one released in March 2012, and the latest discs will not be playable in this player. This is not something we have control over as the studios have pushed forward with newer features and moves to improve Digital Rights Management.

As the devices is still compatible with any Blu-Rays released when the item was purchased, and will continue to play them, we do not consider this to be a manufacturer fault, and there for the item is still fit for purpose.

I apologise for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards
    xxxxxxxxx
    Tesco Tech Support

How can you claim that a disc player, THAT WONT PLAY DISCS, is actually fit for purpose???? :rolleyes::facepalm:

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    That is a big issue with BD players , and one of the reasons why buying no name or lesser brands like tecknika can be a bad idea ..... BD players will need regular firmware updates to keep up to date with modern titles .....

The main issue I would say with your particular player is Cinavia , which was a major new requirement from 2012 , all BD players must now have that copy protection feature , and some titles protected by that system will not play in non Cinavia players .....

All other discs will though , so still fit for purposes specified at time of release , no product can guarantee full compatibility with future features.

On the plus side , you have a working cinavia free player , which, for some people , is a very desirable product to have , for reasons you a not allowed to talk about here :)

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    My laptop has a similar problem with Skyfall (even with AnyDVD running). Would freeze after the FOX logo. I found pressing the chapter skip button continuously just before the point it usually freezes got me past it & onto the main menu. Plays fine from that point.

4. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I've tried hitting the skip button, and any other button for that matter, but it wont allow me to skip or fast forward. I even left it for half an hour to see if it just needed time to play but no such luck.
    It does annoy me though because no films state that you require a certain software version or the like to play the disc, nor did the player state that it required regular updates to play certain titles. How on earth would someone less tech-savvy manage with one?

5. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Ah DRM. Don't you just love it? Or not...

6. Mshulla

Mshulla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Are you saying that Skyfall BD requires a Cinavia enabled player to work?
    First I'm hearing about Cinavia, how widely implemented is it?

7. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    That shouldn't be the case. Cinavia stops any copies of Cinavia protected titles from playing back on a Cinavia protected machine (ie all new BD players).
    A legit Cineavia disc will playback on ANY BD player. If it doesn't play, I'd put it down to a general firmware issue rather than Cinavia specifically.

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Lots of pre 2012 players have/had firmware issues with playback of Cinavia protected discs just like the OP, but no firmware updates means hes stuck with the problem unfortunately.

The problem is especially true of pre 2012 players with an all region mod !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Buy cheap, buy twice?

10. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Do they come up with the Cinavia message or something?
    How do you know these are specifically caused by Cinavia and not general 'requires new firmware' issue?
    eg Avatar had widespread issues playing back on many, many machines and it didn't have Cinavia. Avengers 3D disc wouldn't play back on many Sony and Samsung machines- also not due to Cinavia.

The problem with these pre 2012 players may have nothing due to Cinavia and is due to other copy protection measures which require a firmware update.

I'm not saying I'm right, but wondering how you're sure it's due to Cinavia?

11. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    From the firmware update release notes...it usually reads something like " fixed playback stop due to cinavia incompatibility" or something similar.

12. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Ah ok.
    Personally, I would say if you want to be certain your player will likely play future titles you should get a player from a named brand (ideally a PS3 for the most future proof option).

13. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,698
    Id be wary of cheap Toshiba Blu-ray players too. My brother had a lot of trouble with one a couple of years back (and I did tell him at the time not to). He ended up taking it back and getting a Panasonic - no problems since then.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I have had the Technika player since it came out at Tesco and there has not been a single firmware update for it since it came out in 2010. In fact, the original 2010 firmware is the one that can be downloaded despite the page being updated in 2012 and 2013. Even the firmware upgrade server does not work via the ethernet socket when trying through the internet.

Firmware update for the Technika BRSS10 Blu-ray Player

I have mine set to Region A and it doesn't play my US Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown.

However my Sony S350 from 2008 still plays every disc I have despite no firmware upgrade since February 2011 (same for my S360).

15. Gooble Gobble

Gooble Gobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Mine is a multi region Blu-ray player from 2008 and it plays Skyfall fine and dandy. And it's never been upgraded since I bought it due to the risk of losing the multi region function. It has problems with playing some Blu-ray discs now but it's mostly region B discs from France for some reason. I've only ever had a problem with one Blu-ray disc from America but thankfully got a full refund for it.

So not all multi region Blu-ray players pre 2012 have this problem with whatever this thing is with Skyfall. Hope it's just a minority of them.

I've got two Toshiba Blu-ray players that were around the £50 mark, both play every Region B disc most wonderfully. Had no problems. Very happy with the players.

16. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have a Sony S350 & recently found it won't play The Muppets (works in my Phillips player though), despite being able to play the copy I rented from Lovefilm when it came out.

17. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    I think Skyfall & Life of Pi both have new Java copy protection or whatnot.
    They're the only 2 discs that give my laptop problems. Both freeze in exactly the same way, just after the FOX intro finishes it freezes before the loading screens come up. Not even having AnyDVD running helps. Have to skip forward before the FOX intro finishes & it loads fine. Rips fine with AnyDVD so not faulty discs.

Still have my trusty Panasonic BD35 which to this day hasn't failed to play any disc I throw at it. My PS3 had problems with Goblet of Fire back in the day, which took quite a long time for Sony to fix but eventually did. Haven't has problems with any discs since.

Just got a Sony S790 & touchwood so far no problems but not played all my discs on it yet.

18. Karlin

Karlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    I suspect the Technika is and always was crap.

I have the first ever release Blu-ray player from Sony and it plays everything still. It takes forever to load for sure but it does the business.

Blu-ray players are so darn cheap now and feature lots of inbuilt stuff they're worth the investment every few years (if you have to).

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    The player itself is not crap it is just the aftersales support that has been.

20. Karlin

Karlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    Yeah, non-support doesn't help the OP but having bought several Blu-ray players and seen plenty it's obvious some manufacturers get it right first time.

The fact my player plays anything and the Technika (a much newer device) can't is also proof of what I said. Not that they can be compared due to the Sony originally costing £700 -point is, it was and still is great. A brand new Sony @ £70 is a great machine too -the Technika was always crap.

21. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I assume the BDP-S3100 at £85 is the best Sony player now if 3D is not needed and it has WiFi built in whereas, the 4100 does now ?

22. Karlin

Karlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    I don't know what the best player is now but the main brands will always come up with the goods. Saying that, the last Toshiba I looked at was awful (they're a bit retarded of course since the demise of HDDVD, hopefully they're catching up).

The Technika will still have a good use no doubt. My 6 year old Sony is locked A but plays virtually any disc as long as 'stop' works OK. Just choose a title and hit enter.

I'd not bother with multiregion now as importing an A player is cheap enough and it pays for itself quickly.

23. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I still have plenty of R1 DVD's so it has been worth getting a DVD mod when I have bought a Sony player. I will only buy Sony. I like to have a PS3 if it wasn't so expensive but also don't like slot loading compared to disc trays.

24. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,698
    My brothers old toshiba blu-ray player refused to play certain discs despite me upgrading the firmware. Some checking on google revealed many others finding the same. Gladiator was one of the films I think.

25. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Quite a few other brands can also be made multi region for DVDs using a one4all/harmony remote (eg Panasonic, Samsung) :smashin:

What sort of price are you looking at for PS3? It's been as low as £119 for the 12gb model. Also the current model doesn't have a slot loading drive anymore. It's a top loading model now. Will probably drop some more when the PS4 comes out later this year.

26. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    Last time I looked, the PS3 was around £160 for just the machine. I have no interest in the games.

27. 88mph

88mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This is really disappointing to hear. I have the same Technika player and it has played every single disc I've thrown at it so far. I was planning to pick up Skyfall at some point, but now looks like I should be getting a new player instead!

28. 88mph

88mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17