Answered blu ray player with dedicated stereo output that plays DVD-A and SACD?

windhoek

What's the cheapest blu ray player that plays DVD-A and SACD discs that has dedicated stereo outputs (not to be confused with multichannel outputs that include the front left and front right such as those found on an OPPO 103D)? It looks like a lot of modern blu ray players have dropped analogue outputs completely!

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
What's the cheapest blu ray player that plays DVD-A and SACD discs that has dedicated stereo outputs (not to be confused with multichannel outputs that include the front left and front right such as those found on an OPPO 103D)? It looks like a lot of modern blu ray players have dropped analogue outputs completely!
To have both DVD-A and SACD, buying new you don't have a lot of choice. Sony X1000ES at £725 or the Pioneer LX-500 at £1K.

Or there is the Yamaha BDS681 (SACD but no DVD-A) at £299 or Pioneer X300 (again no DVD-A) at £220 or Pioneer BDP-180 (no DVD-A) at £150. It's not just analogue outputs which have been dropped but also DVD-A and SACD.

Close but not totally fitting the bill is the Oppo 203 (similar outputs to Oppo 103D, not dedicated stereo outs). Otherwise you'll need to look for 2nd hand models from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Sony.

Last edited:

simon194

Otherwise you'll need to look for 2nd hand models from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Sony.
Also Yamaha. The BD-A1040, if you can find one, ticks all the boxes. The later BD-A1060 dropped DVD-Audio support.

windhoek

The Sony X1000ES looks like it's the one to get although I have to admit, I thought there might be something available that ticks all my boxes at half the price. I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend that much so I'll probably explore some second-hand alternatives. Thanks guys :)

k-spin

If you don’t need UHD Blu-ray then the Sony UHP-H1 might fit the bill?

And it’s less than half the price of the UBP-X1000ES ;)

windhoek

If you don’t need UHD Blu-ray then the Sony UHP-H1 might fit the bill?

And it’s less than half the price of the UBP-X1000ES ;)
Jackpot... but it just so happens I bought a HDMI de-embedder today so I can try to get analogue from HDMI output. The gadget was only £18 but if it doesn't work, the Sony UHP-H1 is the one to get as does what I want and comes in at a price I can live with :)

Stupot43

Cambridge Audio CXU has dedicated stereo outputs plus it plays DVD-A & SACD as has Cambridge Audio 751BD & 752BD. All these units are excellent upscaling blu-ray players with the capability of playing DVD-A & SACD. They also have dedicated dacs for each output, something that even the Oppo players don't have!

windhoek

The HDMI de-embedder I bought mostly worked at downmixing multichannel content to stereo but because audio dropped out inexplicably during playback a couple of times, I returned the unit and bought a Sony UHP-H1 instead, which should arrive on Tuesday :)

windhoek

The Sony arrived and does what it says on the tin. Sorted :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom