Blu-Ray Player with 25p output?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr. H, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mr. H

Mr. H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently purchased a Sony S380 Blu-Ray player and I'm a bit disappointed. My TV is a Samsung PS50Q96HD plasma which doesn't support 1080/24p so the Sony is converting Blu-Rays to 720/60p and introducing really horrible judder on slow horizontal pans.

I can't afford to get a new TV so my question is: are there any Blu-Ray players that will output at 25 fps? This would be achieved by playing the film 25/24 times faster, with clever things done to the audio to ensure it doesn't change pitch.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    The short answer is no without introducing artefacts that may be worse than 3:2 pulldown used with film output at 59.94hz.

Avi

3. Mr. H

Mr. H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't see how speeding up the 24fps to 25fps would introduce artefacts; after all that's how PAL DVDs are produced from 24fps film source. Anyway, guess it's a moot point if there aren't any players that will do it.

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    The process of producing 25 fps PAL from 24fps film is performed during telecine not in the DVD or Blu-ray player in real time. Typical consumer players work on fixed fields/frames encode/output cycles not source such as film that can be accelerated or decelerated to adjust the conversion rate as with telecine. Players can frame rate convert but this is different to the telecine type process.

Avi

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I'm aware of that. The point I was trying to make is that the telecine process doesn't produce unpleasant artefacts so it should be possible to do the equivalent thing in hardware. Doing it in real time using a modern player's hardware wouldn't be that taxing; all the player would have to do is decode the data at 1.041666666666667 times realtime, perform 2:2 pull down to give a 50p output and run a little pitch adjustment on the audio. Perhaps it's the audio that's the problem as you'd have to decode it, pitch shift it and then re-encode.

Anyway, if there's no player that does that, are there any that do motion-adaptive frame interpolation instead of 3:2 pull down?

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    I'm not aware of any consumer Blu-ray player that performs motion adaptive frame interpolation either.

Avi

7. nickg1977

nickg1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Unless there is a player that can vary the speed it plays the data from the disc then this is never going to happen. 24fps to 25fps is just the same frames played faster, so the film essentially is played faster.

Nick