Blu-ray player upgrade

neoELITE

Novice Member
I currently own and use the uber cheap Tesco own brand blu-ray player, Technika BRSS10.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/13802118-post66.html

I've started to get a few issues whilst viewing blu-rays. Sound drop out at least once or twice that lasts for a few seconds and also the odd freeze every time I watch a film.

It doesn't happen when viewing DVDs and 90% of usage with the player is just to upscale these.

I've been fairly happy with it (other than the fact it seems to get confused when opening and closing the tray and the remote is a lump of useless plastic) as it does the job and, at the time, it was under £50 and nothing came close to it in terms of price.

I'm looking to upgrade after Xmas and rather than just opt for another budget Asda/Tesco player, I would prefer to spend a little extra (budget at no more than £100) on more functionality.

What is good about my current player is that it's so small and fits in my AV unit with my amp, set-top box, my 360 and my centre and L/R speakers. Every other bdp I've seen is wide. Techincally, I can slide a player underneath the AV unit as it's slightly raised from the floor but I'd rather I didn't have to do this. I have about 400mm width to fit a new player in.

What I need is:

Size: no more than 400mm wide.
Functionality: iplayer, youtube etc.
Price: no more than £100
Features: decent sound output through my Yamaha amp, a remote that works :)

I have no brand loyalty.

skk3

Bluntly, any of the Sony Players as they offer superb performance per pound, are relatively small in footprint, some offer 3D and all offer excellent firmware updates which may account for the problems with your existing player. The earlier reply was, I'm sure, just to direct you to RS website for you to choose specs etc...

If they don't appeal try Panasonic's DMPBD75 at 430 x 179 x 35mm for £59.95 at RS...

neoELITE

Novice Member
Bluntly, any of the Sony Players as they offer superb performance per pound, are relatively small in footprint, some offer 3D and all offer excellent firmware updates which may account for the problems with your existing player. The earlier reply was, I'm sure, just to direct you to RS website for you to choose specs etc...

If they don't appeal try Panasonic's DMPBD75 at 430 x 179 x 35mm for £59.95 at RS...

Cheers. I didn't want to sound rude but simply putting a link to the Richersounds website and linking to blu-ray players wasn't that helpful. I was looking at the Sony BDP185B
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS18...VJKS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323034773&sr=8-4
But only because it's small.
Just like all electronic products, there's too many to choose from.

skk3

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom