Blu-ray player to stream Hi-def music

pops107

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my old Sony bdp-770

I have been wanting to find a way of streaming hi-def music of the likes of Amazon untra hd music so was thinking of sorting both issues at once getting new player and one that can stream hi-def music

Finding it hard to find a player that will definitely do it a lot say they support streaming music and hi-def but can not find a list of streaming sites on any of them

Has anyone got a player that streams Amazon ultra HD music, I can stream it on my phone to my car and my Bluetooth speaker but my TV does not support hd music

The player will.be conected to a onkyo av receiver

Thanks in advance

I would imagine that for that particular service you will probably requiring a dedicated streamer / DAC type device. The other way would be to upgrade your AVR to one that supports the streaming services you require natively with an app for control.

I was thinking of going down the avr option but even then I can not find a hole lot of information in what is supported, same as 5he Blu-ray players says it has the app for Amazon music etc but does not say anything about ultra HD music same as my TV the app works fine but then the TV can not do HD audio

That's why I was thinking Blu-ray player would support it as they already support True hd master audio etc

My avr supports flac and the bit rate needed just trying to find a way to stream it and put out to my avr

Optical Disc players are fast approaching end of life obsolescence with most major manufacturers announcing they wont be making any more , there are only a couple left in the market.

Its streaming that has killed them , and as such , support for streaming services on disc players is very thin on the ground , at best , they will have an input for high res feeds that you can feed a dedicated streaming device into.

An AVR with a dedicated streaming device like the shield feeding into it is your best option.

Don't rely on an expensive major hub like an AVR having regular onboard app updates for a software service , in most cases that doesn't happen and the onboard app quickly becomes useless.

Its best to keep that onboard app on a relatively cheap and easily replaceable device like the Shield.

Thanks for the advice, now not to sound very new on here witch I am not, shield ??

As in Nvidia shield

Thanks for the advice, now not to sound very new on here witch I am not, shield ??

As in Nvidia shield
Yes , the shield , There is a Tube version , and a pro version , the tube is plenty for streaming music , all the major streaming providers are on there , approx 130 quid from Amazon ,

Amazon product ASIN B07Z6QQZPF

Not seen them before used shield before but only software on pc

Will have to have a nosey thanks

I use Apple tv 4k device.

Apple music free 2/3month trial at the moment and Tidal.

CD quality
Surround music
Music videos

Spotify and 101 other apps.

Witch device you using

Last time I checked , Apple TV does not do high res music.
Given the size of the company , they have some incredibly stupid limitations on their hardware.

There are many many black boxes that stream , none of them beat the shield , its as simple as that.

I have had loads of them because they were cheaper than the shield , but they were a false economy , they all failed early or became obsolete within a year.

In the end I did what I should have done at the outset and got the Shield

The shield definitely sounds the way to go, any chance on yours do you use Amazon music hd/ultra HD ?

So looks like the shield does not support Amazon music ultra HD

Unless you install the mobile app then use mouse and key board then it seems to work but seems lots of messing about to play some.music

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom