• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu ray player to go with UE55NU7400

Fredator

Standard Member
Hi, compatibility question here. It may mean nothing - I don't know.. I have a UE55NU7400 coming on Monday and am wanting to get a blu ray player that will do it justice. The spec of the tv lists hdr10+ as it's headlining hdr tech, so should I be looking for a player which supports that? Or doesn't it really matter if it's a player in the Dolby vision camp?

ISeeDesignHer

I’m not familiar with the UE55NU7400. I just got a QN55Q70R and decided to get the Samsung UBD-M9500 BlueRay player in order to fully handshake re the HDMI-ARC 2.0a + HDCP 2.2 protocols. In my journey to discover how all of that copyright protection affects compatibility, SQ and formats, I ended up with the M9500 as the best choice. However, I do not believe Samsung has been offering Dolby Vision. Better check that out. Sales people, and even MFGR reps, are not supplied with adequate specs. Does the UE55NU7400 have Dolby Vision? If it does, you might wan’t to make that more broadly known. Good luck hunting!

Fredator

Standard Member
The UE55NU7400 does not have Dolby vision - it has hdr10+! I'm just wondering if I need to get a player which has hdr10+ as well, or does it matter all that much if I get a player like the Sony UBP-X700 which only has Dolby vision?

ISeeDesignHer

You might want to consider that HDR+ media volume far exceeds Dolby Vision media volume. Also, here in the US, Best Buy sold me a new Samsung UDP-M9500 at 30% off their online price, which is quite low. It mates with the Samsung ecosystem and plays HDR+ media. If possible, try to go to a brick&mortar store where you can ask questions and look at TV + BlueRay combinations being demoed. Ask which players they use to drive their Samsung demos.

ISeeDesignHer

No problem, mate. I spent 3 days trying to untangle all the compatibility issues that arise out of HDCP 2.2. MFGRs have reset to a, “Say no more than when on a first date” policy because of all the, er, solicitors involved, and that’s not even considering the EU’s aggressiveness in seeking retroactive unpaid ‘alleged’ royalties from content platforms. FB & Pelotron, the NoGo bike maker with video screens. Scary. Its a big mash-up out there. Look thrice.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
There’s barely any hdr10+ content so don’t be worrying about it. Some Panasonic players tone map content to suit the tv being used so I’d probably go for one of those.

Fredator

Standard Member
Yeah, I like the sound of that and I've been looking. Thing is my amp is ancient and my blu ray player is connected to my bass by coax - should I replace it with a uhd player/upscaling unit with a coax connection same as I currently have? Or just go pure HDMI? My amp is a Sony str-da1200es - way pre 4k.

ISeeDesignHer

Please read my path to audio nirvana labeled, “
Samsung Q70R Optical Output SQ?

I bought the UDB-M9500 and made it master to the Q70R.

Now, I get full uncompressed bit stream high BW digital audio out of the player. Almost every possible menu option exists on the player, and it is pure pass thru bit perfect, unlike the 48 kHz, 16b-at-most compressed swill that’s the best you can get from the TV optical port.

The key takeaway is that the TV is forcing a much tighter SQ drop than you can live with (optical), while the player (most players, probably) is wide open and unrestricted.

Choose a great player and make it your hub.

Fredator

Standard Member
I'm looking quite hard at the Panasonic ub420 at the mo. Should boost the hdr content on my hdr limited tv and pass audio to the old amp on a dedicated HDMI cable. I'll build up some more eBay vouchers before I commit!

ISeeDesignHer

EBay vouchers... always a good thing. What if Moon Audio merged with eBay? Would you eBay at the Moon? Or Moon at eBay?

So, I don’t have any knowledge of the ub420. Sounds good.

I was trying to get your meaning about enhancing the HDR of your tv. AFAIK, SDR is 8b color depth, HDR is 10b. HDR+ is Samsung HDR with 1,000 nit peak brightness (pushes the increased resolution of colors into the black detail - also tradenamed HDR1000 - terrible nomenclature), Dolby Vision is 12b color depth, but with a target brightness of 4,000 nits and a peak brightness of 10,000 nits!

I doubt that you’ll see much of that until LQOLED (laser+quantum dot+OLED) TVs hit the market. Hmm?

Also, isn’t there a push in GB to move tv to HDR-HLG (hybrid log gamma)? I’m thinking that that would just be a logarithmic mapping of HDR to be backwards compatible with installed base of 8b SDR sets. Sort of like ‘companding.’

Is that what you meant by ‘boosting the HDR content’?

Fredator

Standard Member
Ok, maybe not enhance the hdr.. But I'm hoping that the local dimming of the screen and the tone mapping of a Panasonic player work together to enhance the hdr and brightness of the overall image!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom