Blu ray player that doesn't make a high pitch whine?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Indiana Jones, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,773
    I recently purchased an LG BP620 and compared to my old Panasonic BD35 it is super quick but I noticed last night while watching Madagascar 3 that there was a high pitch whine coming from the player, tried a few other discs and after a while the whine would start and its making watching anything very difficult, my old player might have been slower but it never made any noise like this.

The seller has offered me a refund or replacement but the other players I have been looking at (Sony BDP-S490 and Pioneer BDP-150-K) both have comments in the reviews here regarding a high pitch whine so I really don't know what to do, if its just a by product of these new faster loading players then will they all the whine or are there actually some silent players out there?

2. vidjo

vidjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Because the disc spins at high speed it's very probable that you will hear some noise. Mostly caused by the disc wafting the air around. A thin disc often making more noise. To get the required amount of data off the disc it has to spin at high speed. Try moving it if possible and make sure it's on a level surface as that might affect it.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,773
    My old player never used to make this type of noise though, sure there were times when you could hear the disc being read but never a high pitch whine, perhaps I am just more sensitive as my old amp used to making a buzzing sound that no one else in my household could hear.

Anyway have decided to move the player off my AV shelf and into the corner of my room on top of my DVD stand, have purchased a 5m HDMI cable which should be long enough and hopefully with it being further away in the corner the noise will be not as noticeable.

4. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    The players you are looking will probably be no better. A player with a more substantial case and build quality would give you what you are looking for eg the bigger pioneers, denon and oppo.

5. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    All the recent slimline Sonys I've used have been terrible for whining. The Panny BDT110 that I've currently got is acceptable in the noise stakes, but what surprised me was the quietness of the Panny BBT01.

It's a tiny little square thing and I once I'd bought it (without thinking about the noise problem) I was dreading playing a disc, because I was sure that it's small size would mean horrendous noise. Well, I was wrong. If anything, it's reduced stature seems to have made Panasonic damp the drive (or whatever) properly, because it barely makes a peep.