Blu-ray player that can also play Video CD

sahajesh

Hi,

Looking for a cheap blu-ray player (doesn’t need to be 4K) for my parents, however it also needs to be able to play Video CDs. They have a lot of old Indian stuff that’s only on Video CD so if I get them something that can’t play VCD, it won’t end well!

I got an LG unit from Amazon but turns out it doesn’t play VCDs :-(

They already have smart functions on the TV so the BR player not having those is not a problem, but likewise if it does have, that’s also fine.

If, as I suspect, that only DVD players can handle VCD then I’ll get that instead. They only have DVDs and VCDs so that’s not a problem.

Looking to spend less than £100.

Thanks in advance.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
It's not an answer exactly, but
VCD is a very old tech and rarely supported. I had a few VCDs myself and what I ended up doing with those was re-burning them to DVDs.
It's a good while ago, but if I remember right, you can put a VCD into a PC drive and go to the folder ...MPEGAV where you will find a number of *.DAT files. Each of these is a MPEG1 video stream representing a content item on the disc.
Copy them to your PC. You don't need any of the rest of it.
Use a DVD authoring program (eg DVDStyler) to make up a DVD containing one or more of the VCD contents. You can get probably 5 VCDs into one DVD.
There are likely other ways of going about this.

As an aside, I always test my DVDs using a re-writable disc before committing the burn to a write once; I have had too many authoring fails for often obscure reasons but even including spelling mistakes in menus.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
P.S.
I just tried a couple of homemade VCDs in my Sony UBP-X800 DVD/BD/UHD player and found that it WILL play VCDs. Its way more expensive than your budget.

What it will NOT do, though, is operate a menu structure. VCDs used a menuing system called Playback Control (PBC) and it seems the Sony doesn't work with those. They needed a numeric keypad, and the Sony doesn't have one; it doesn't even attempt to display the menu. It presents its own simple text list of numbered titles from which you can scroll and select and it will play the contents selected from here.

sahajesh

Thanks @LV426 - you mentioning Sony made me remember/check that Sony were one of the creators/licencees of VCD - I found a Sony DVD player on Amazon and the manual shows that VCD playback is supported.

A Sony BD player may also have worked but my folks don’t have any Blu-Ray discs anyway, so I’ve ordered the DVD player.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Hope it works for you.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom