Blu ray player recommendation

makaveli187

Hi all.
Just found out recently that the x box x doesn’t support Dolby Vision when playing a blu ray.
So now that leads me down the yellow brick road to find a dedicated player.

Any suggestions would be great.

Have my eye on a pana 820.

Outside of Dolby vision lacking in the x box x is there a difference in quality of picture with a dedicated player.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi all.
Just found out recently that the x box x doesn’t support Dolby Vision when playing a blu ray.
So now that leads me down the yellow brick road to find a dedicated player.

Any suggestions would be great.

Have my eye on a pana 820.

Outside of Dolby vision lacking in the x box x is there a difference in quality of picture with a dedicated player.
Ub820 is very popular player and has auto detect and switching for Dolby vision. The sony competitors x700/x800m2 don't autoswitch for Dolby vision and this has to be done manually by turning DV off or on. This annoys some owners so something to bear in mind..

makaveli187

Ub820 is very popular player and has auto detect and switching for Dolby vision. The sony competitors x700/x800m2 don't autoswitch for Dolby vision and this has to be done manually by turning DV off or on. This annoys some owners so something to bear in mind..
Think you might of just sealed the deal Hahahah.
What bout picture quality will it boost picture compared to x box x.
Bit off topic here but I watched dune recently and towards the end it was nearly unwatchable, unseeable is probably a better word.
4K disc played through x box x on lg c1 was a bit disappointed.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Think you might of just sealed the deal Hahahah.
What bout picture quality will it boost picture compared to x box x.
Bit off topic here but I watched dune recently and towards the end it was nearly unwatchable, unseeable is probably a better word.
4K disc played through x box x on lg c1 was a bit disappointed.
Sorry no idea about x box quality but as around 35% of uhd discs are DV you should gain from that.

SATM

Pending delivery of a LG C1 my current OLED TV is non 4K.

As an update to my Oppo 105D, I received yesterday a Panasonic UB820

Having connected the 820 it automatically detected the TV was non 4K.

Played the Avatar Blu-Ray, and was bowled over by the PQ.

Can't wait to connect the 820 to a 4K TV.

makaveli187

Pending delivery of a LG C1 my current OLED TV is non 4K.

As an update to my Oppo 105D, I received yesterday a Panasonic UB820

Having connected the 820 it automatically detected the TV was non 4K.

Played the Avatar Blu-Ray, and was bowled over by the PQ.

Can't wait to connect the 820 to a 4K TV.
That’s good to hear.
C1 is a serious tv I was lucky to get the evo panel in mine.
I have read here in a separate thread that it needs to have so many hours to burn in before you get the best out of it.
I only have mine about a month so nowhere near it.
My only problem with it at the moment is that dark scenes are too dark for my likings.

SATM

That’s good to hear.
I have read here in a separate thread that it needs to have so many hours to burn in before you get the best out of it.
My only problem with it at the moment is that dark scenes are too dark for my likings.
It is generally reckoned that before a professional ISF calibration one should clock up a minimum of 200 hours on the TV.

While an ISF calibration costs about £300, it is well worth having done for a top flight TV.

With regard to dark scenes being too dark for your liking, what mode do you have the TV on?

'Film Maker' is generally considered to be the most accurate 'out of the box'.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
That’s good to hear.
Ub820 has a lot of picture adjustment controls that can fix the too dark scenes for you when using hdr10 or bluray discs.

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Picture quality should be 100% the displays domain not player.

gmgf1

Standard Member
Bought a Panasonic UB450 for £100 refurbished from Panasonic on eBay. it was brand new everything still sealed etc, with 1 year warranty. Has Dolby Vision and works a treat. Worth checking the Panasonic Outlet site as noticed they do keep coming back into stock and selling quickly.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Picture quality should be 100% the displays domain not player.
Depends on the tv.
LG TVs I've had lock gamma on hdr10. Panasonic TVs have unlocked gamma and their players have both hdr10 gamma controls and light/dark adjustments. If the scene is too dark on a locked gamma LG tv, the choice of player can make a big difference to the eventual PQ seen.

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Depends on the tv.
LG TVs I've had lock gamma on hdr10. Panasonic TVs have unlocked gamma and their players have both hdr10 gamma controls and light/dark adjustments. If the scene is too dark on a locked gamma LG tv, the choice of player can make a big difference to the eventual PQ seen.

How so? Where is the signal modified before the tv?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
How so? Where is the signal modified before the tv?
In panasonic players in the picture adjustments menu, for hdr10 in hdr adjustments.
Dynamic range adjustment can push darker and lighter as can system gamma. Then there is black and white tone curve adjusters as well as usual brightness etc

Last edited:

makaveli187

It is generally reckoned that before a professional ISF calibration one should clock up a minimum of 200 hours on the TV.

While an ISF calibration costs about £300, it is well worth having done for a top flight TV.

With regard to dark scenes being too dark for your liking, what mode do you have the TV on?

'Film Maker' is generally considered to be the most accurate 'out of the box'.
Filmmaker mode is the setting I was using it was brutal worst part of the film.

makaveli187

So a dedicated player is not going to give better picture without going at setting on the player. But suppose at least them settings are there.
Might check out eBay

D

Deleted member 45086

Bought a Panasonic UB450 for £100 refurbished from Panasonic on eBay. it was brand new everything still sealed etc, with 1 year warranty. Has Dolby Vision and works a treat. Worth checking the Panasonic Outlet site as noticed they do keep coming back into stock and selling quickly.
Would you mind posting a link?

D

Deleted member 45086

£600 pound difference between 820 and the 9000 model what could justify that price difference
Audio circuits are far improved on the 9000 to satisfy the audio listening. Ability to run analogue audio and digital audio consecutively allowing hdmi for movies and analogue for music as an example.
Build quality as its 9kg in weight so being a more solid unit it has less or minimum vibration so better audio. Just a few things I can think of. It has a far better backlit remote too

SATM

Audio circuits are far improved on the 9000 to satisfy the audio listening. Ability to run analogue audio and digital audio consecutively allowing hdmi for movies and analogue for music as an example.
Build quality as its 9kg in weight so being a more solid unit it has less or minimum vibration so better audio. Just a few things I can think of. It has a far better backlit remote too
My understanding is that in terms of the video capabilities there is no difference between the 820, and the 9000.

For someone who does not require the enhanced audio capabilities of the 9000, the 820 is a natural choice.

A Panasonic 9000 remote control can be bought for £54.00.

makaveli187

My understanding is that in terms of the video capabilities there is no difference between the 820, and the 9000.

For someone who does not require the enhanced audio capabilities of the 9000, the 820 is a natural choice.

A Panasonic 9000 remote control can be bought for £54.00.
When you you say audio capabilities your referring to music play back and coaxial/ xlr RCA etc.

MaryWhitehouse

When you you say audio capabilities your referring to music play back and coaxial/ xlr RCA etc.

Anything out by HDMI will be the same. Anything out analogue could be different.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV