• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Blu-Ray Player Recommendation

Grasor

Novice Member
Hello all,

I've owned two Blu-Ray players since they came around and have always hated them. It wasn't a huge deal because my wife and I would sparingly just watch something using a cable on-demand system or stream through Netflix on our Smart TV. However, we now have children and Netflix doesn't have the movies we want them to see and it's not economical to purchase on-demand items every time we want to watch a kid's movie.

My current player is noisy, doesn't play all Blu-Rays (hangs on start-up) and skips constantly even when using a brand new blu-ray. Frankly, I'd like to take it out back and fix it with a sledge hammer. I want to get a BD player that isn't noisy, plays modern discs, and otherwise works as intended. You know, something that won't make my children cry in the middle of a Disney film...

Anyone have a recommendation?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
How much do you want to spend.

I can personally vouch for the Denon 3313 as whisper quiet and wide disc playback but it's over 400 quid. The Oppo 103D is quiet too but again high priced.

The pioneer 170 is far cheaper and whilst not as silent as the other two is by no means offensively noisy. No streaming services as such but good file support.

Grasor

Novice Member
How much do you want to spend.

I'm willing to part with about $150 towards this venture, up to $200 if the thing can make me breakfast. I don't need streaming services. My SmartTV has everything I need.

P.S. Nice avatar. I just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night for the first time!

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I'm willing to part with about $150 towards this venture, up to $200 if the thing can make me breakfast. I don't need streaming services. My SmartTV has everything I need.

P.S. Nice avatar. I just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night for the first time!
If streaming services are not an issue then I'd stick with recommendation on the Pioneer. There is a newer 180 version out but not worthit over the cheaper 170 to me.

You are making me feel old. I first watched 2001 in the 70s :(

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom