Blu-Ray player plays SD disks better than my old DVD??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by golden void, May 27, 2008.

1. golden void

golden void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am awaiting delivery of a Samsung 1400, and noticed on purchase that the box proclaims that it plays SD DVDs at higher quality than my old standard DVD does. Hype? True? How could this be so?

P.S I will be viewing on a 1080p 50 inch plasma from about 12-15 feet.

Forgive my noobness. TY.

2. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

This is a common topic..Basically mode high definition players can "upscale" standard definition video content up to 1080i/1080p. Depending on how much you spent on your current standard def player will determine whether this is true or not. As an example, my £600ish Denon does a much better of upscaling than my PS3, very good as it is. Obviously with upscaling, the output is only ever going to be as good as the source matieral and it can't add information that isn't already there, just perform various tricks to make it look better than a standard def DVD would normally do. It can be very effective, but don't expect miracles!

HTH

Kendal

3. Rsaeire

Rsaeire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I agree. Upscaled DVD can look amazing at 1080p when compared to standard DVD at 576i. The difference is harder to notice the smaller the screen size, but since you will be viewing on a 50", you will not only notice the difference between upscaled and standard DVD but will benefit even more when watching Blu-ray movies.

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Hi golden void. :)
    It's not just the player that can upscale,your TV can and "will" if you send,say 576p out form the Samsung with DVD :smashin: you might find your display does a better job. :)
    All the best.

5. golden void

golden void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My thinking was that when I used my old DVD player, the TV is upscaling it to pretend 1080p anyways. I therefore expected that the TV would do a better job of this than a BD player ever could (being 7 times the price and all).

At present, using my old DVD player, SD playback looks absolutely amazing and sharp as a pin (from 12 feet lol).

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Hi mate. :)
    When you get the 1400 :smashin: try it out and see what's best,your TV or the player. :D
    Cheers.