Blu Ray Player - Output 50hz?

Mik11

Standard Member
Does anyone know if there any existing blu ray players out there that can output a 1080/24p disk at 50 Hz. This would probably have to be done by a minor speed in the film to bring the frames from 24 to 25 /sec? Just wondering, cos this could match nicely with the pioneer 9th gen to get an upscale to 100hz quite nicely.

Thanks

Avi

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if there any existing blu ray players out there that can output a 1080/24p disk at 50 Hz. This would probably have to be done by a minor speed in the film to bring the frames from 24 to 25 /sec? Just wondering, cos this could match nicely with the pioneer 9th gen to get an upscale to 100hz quite nicely.

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of. :) The Pio with refesh 24p material at 72hz but it doesn't need to upscale because the most Blu-ray is 1920x1080.

AVI

Mik11

Standard Member
Cheers, have a setup with a ps3 and lx5090, but am getting some slight judder with the 24 upscaled to 72Hz. It's a pity there's not one on the market. I've read somewhere that SKYHD rescale their movies to 50Hz which results in a 4% speedup. I wonder could it be done via PC? Anyone tried this?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
it would look horrendous, you don't want to go here, though some VP might be able to help. I would just try another player....

Avi

Distinguished Member
Cheers, have a setup with a ps3 and lx5090, but am getting some slight judder with the 24 upscaled to 72Hz. It's a pity there's not one on the market. I've read somewhere that SKYHD rescale their movies to 50Hz which results in a 4% speedup. I wonder could it be done via PC? Anyone tried this?

Some judder is inherent to the relatively slow capture rate of film. With R2 DVD for example the film is sped up from 24fps to 25fps during the telecine process not in the player. This process simply enables film to work at 50hz by repeating the frames equally in a 2:2 sequence each second. It is required because 24 will not fit into 50hz as an integer or in an acceptable repeat cycle. In the USA 24fps film is repeated in a 3:2 unequal sequence five times per second to allow 24 frames to fit into their standard 60hz. This unequal "3:2" repeat cycle causes additional judder usually noticeable during motion or panning shots. Blu-ray film on a display that properly supports 24p input should not exhibit more judder than is in the film itself. This avoids the need to change the speed of the film during telecine as with DVD for different part of the world due to global Blu-ray standards.

I'm not sure how converting 24fps to 25fps for Blu-ray will overcome the judder issues you describe unless it's a problem with the display. With both 24hz and 25hz input the display should use equal frame repeat unlike the 3:2 process mentioned above. Simply repeating the same frames a bit quicker i.e. more times per second is unlikely to overcome motion judder unless there is some type of motion interpolation processing. A faster per second repeat (without motion interpolation) may overcome other issues such as flicker on certain display techs :)

AVI

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom