• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-ray Player for new Panasonic Plasma?

whattv??

Standard Member
I have just bought the PX42G10 and want a blueray player to go with it to make the most of it, i have been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BD60. I only wanna spend £200 max, would this be a good option or better off with ps3? i want best picture possible from films, games arnt important really. Thanks for any advice.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic player is good but you will not see any real difference in PQ no matter which BD player you buy.

Also consider the Sony S360 which is a great value player, the Viera link (HDMI CEC control) will also work between this player & your TV :)

whattv??

Standard Member
um i'm not sure what u mean by the viera link, do you mean i can use the panasonic remoter control on the sony player? excuse my lack of tech knowledge lol. All trusted review site says the panasonic players PQ is far better than the sony or lg?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Yes, Viera link is the name for Panasonics version of HDMI CEC control so you can use the TV remote to turn on the BD player & vice versa, i.e. if you switch on the BD player it can turn on the TV at the same time & go to the correct HDMI input. The TV remote will also control the BD player functions etc. :)

Longy00000

I have a Panasonic and its got a great picture but to say its far better than the other mainstream manufacturers is probably a bit too far.
The differences between the mainstream players is verty very small and unless you watched them side by side you would struggle to see any differences at all.

just go for the one that you like best at the best price.

Its probably fair to say that both panasonic and Sony both offer very good players at sensible prices with Samsung coming in a close third.

The real things that depend on which way you go are usually driven by your existing equipment, for instance are you routing it through an AMP, if so does it have HDMI or analogues for the HD sound etc. Do you need to force 24fps through to your TV etc etc.

However if you ar going to connect straight to your TV and dont use an AMP then it makes little difference as to where your preference lies. Go and enjoy whatever you decide to purchase:D

Ps. I think the stand alone players are better than the PS3 which is a good all rounder but the dedicated players seem to have an edge. See the thread on BD players blind test shoot out.

Last edited:

whattv??

Standard Member
ok, i wanted to go for a panasonic just because it matched the tv i guess. Would that be the best one for the £180 mark (bd60). I also want to use the usd to play media files as the G10 hasn't got a usb port. I have considered a ps3, would the PQ be the same quality? how good are they for playing media? im not that fused about gaming, i have an xbox.

awink1

Distinguished Member
If you want to play different media files (i.e mkv) from USB you should look elsewhere as the Panasonics are very limited to what they accept over USB.

The LGs are very good at that and can easily be made Region free for SD DVD (so can the panny by the way).

whattv??

Standard Member
hhmmm what is the media playback like with a ps3? will it playback most files. I'm torn wether to get the Panasonic PD60 Bluray player for £175 or get the new slim PS3 with fifa 10 for £249. I'm not really interested in using it for gaming as i already have an xbox. What else can i use the ps3 for? does it upscale DVD's and what would the blu ray playback be like compared to the Panny stand alone player? surly not as good quality or everyone would just get one of these instead of a just a blueray player. I know people for the old Ps3 a bit annoying for watching films because of fan noise bit the slim ps3 is meant to be a lot quieter. hmm can't decide.

awink1

Distinguished Member
hhmmm what is the media playback like with a ps3? will it playback most files. I'm torn wether to get the Panasonic PD60 Bluray player for £175 or get the new slim PS3 with fifa 10 for £249. I'm not really interested in using it for gaming as i already have an xbox. What else can i use the ps3 for? does it upscale DVD's and what would the blu ray playback be like compared to the Panny stand alone player? surly not as good quality or everyone would just get one of these instead of a just a blueray player. I know people for the old Ps3 a bit annoying for watching films because of fan noise bit the slim ps3 is meant to be a lot quieter. hmm can't decide.

Go for the PS3, I have been through a shed load of Blu ray players and HD DVD players, DVD players over the last 24 mth... the one thing that I've always kept is the PS3 :rolleyes:

BTW, most of the people did get the PS3, it's just now that standalones have come down in price that people tend to favour them more.

Blu Ray playback is excellent and upscaling is very good too (it's no Oppo, but then neither is the Panny)

It streams most things apart from mkvs, but using freeware MKV2VOB solves that issue very quickly and painlessly. :smashin:

whattv??

Standard Member
hhmmm maybe i should go for the ps3, xbox can play all those files too though cant they? although my xbox doesnt recognise my externatl HD for some reason, maybe NTFS has something to do with it. Hmmm i just want the best possible blu ray picture for the money really. Not an average one? Is ps3 worth the extra £75 then?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Blu Ray performance is on par with most players as long as you can view them at 1080p/24Hz. This because there is none to very little processing done by the player. SO there is very little difference in PQ for blus

Sound wise it's a different story. Do you have an AV receiver that can decode the HD Audio bitstreams or do you need multi analogue outs?

whattv??

Standard Member
TO be honest mate im not to sure what u mean by all of that? all i have its a Panasonic 42G10 and the speaker built in to it, does the ps3 come with a remote or is that a typical sony extra? i guess if i wanted surround sound it wouldbt be possible with a ps3?

awink1

Distinguished Member
TO be honest mate im not to sure what u mean by all of that? all i have its a Panasonic 42G10 and the speaker built in to it, does the ps3 come with a remote or is that a typical sony extra? i guess if i wanted surround sound it wouldbt be possible with a ps3?

:)

OK sound not really n issue for you at the moment and yes you can have Sourround sound with the PS3 should you go that way in the future, it is ready for that.

The remote on the PS3 is an extra, correct, but you can just use the game controler which is also wireless to control all functions, so the extra remote is just an additional comfort thing, not a necessity.

penfold27

If you do want to think about surround sound, consider this:

PANASONIC SCBT200 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I know it is double your budget but it would get you blu-ray, M/R DVD and surround sound all in one. It would be a great match to your G10 :thumbsup:. I am picking one up this week to go with my x10 :D.

If you go for a stand alone player, be aware that you will need to add an amp and speakers at a later date to get surround sound, which will probably cost more than the extra £200 for this system. Something to consider anyway.

whattv??

Standard Member
hhmm thast does look a good setup, not sure i want all those speakers in my front room though. It is tempting, bet then sound is quality! I'm tempted to buy a ps3 for the media playback aspect, but i cant get my head round why a standard blu ray player which has blue ray and its only use, would only be as good quality as the one in the ps3, which is a games console really?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom