Blu-Ray Player As CD Player - Question

Johnny R

Standard Member
I'm being a bit lazy here but wanted to check this before spending pointless time around the back of the TV/Hi-Fi cabinet!!

These days I mostly stream music from my NAS but occasionally would like the option to play a newly delivered CD before it sits around waiting to be ripped.

My blu-ray player - a Panasonic DP-UB820 - is currently connected to the TV via HDMI ARC with the sound being output from a Sonos Arc+Sub+L+R surround setup.

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the Blu-Ray player to my NAD C658 (at the same time as being connected to the TV) and use that setup to play stereo sound?

Or will the Blu-Ray always default to HDMI and push the sound out through the Sonos?

wine man

Just be aware that a lot of DVD Players are pre-set to play multi channel sound, if you try to play a CD into a 2 channel system like that it will sound awful. With mine I had to go into the DVD's audio settings and change the sound output to PCM.

Johnny R

Standard Member
That was my main concern really - don't want to have to tweak a setting each time I play a CD - which won't be that often - as everything is seamless at the moment when watching TV/Video Streaming/Movies!

I may have to resort to purchasing a CD player from eBay - as it will only be a transport anyway and lightly used (3rd source behind streaming & vinyl) don't think it will need to cost me a fortune. Thanks!

gibbsy

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the Blu-Ray player to my NAD C658 (at the same time as being connected to the TV) and use that setup to play stereo sound?
Yes. Connect via RCA from the front left and right outputs. The player will recognise a CD and output in stereo. All blu ray players will play CD as stereo and are designed to do so. You'll have to check with the manual as to how you engage the analogue output.

Johnny R

Standard Member
Safe to assume that I can’t use one of the digital outputs? I’m thinking the sound may be better using the DAC in the NAD rather than the one in the Blu-Ray player?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Safe to assume that I can’t use one of the digital outputs? I’m thinking the sound may be better using the DAC in the NAD rather than the one in the Blu-Ray player?
Your Panasonic DP-UB820 has a digital optical output that you could use for this, but I reckon the analogue output would be simpler to set up and operate.

neuty

Distinguished Member
The 820 will only output audio via hdmi OR analogue. It will not allow for both at the same time. I retuned my 820 for this reason.
I wanted hdmi for movies and analogue rca for cd playback. To do thi sit meant going into player audio settings and enabling analogue which then disabled digital hdmi.
It was such a pain. The player does not have dedicated analogue stereo rca.
It is possible that it can output hdmi and optical letting you do what you want.
Try posting in the 820 thread and maybe get a difinative answer.

Johnny R

Standard Member
Sounds like just the kind of messing about that my good lady hates me starting! Think I may enter the secondhand CD player market!

neuty

Distinguished Member
Sounds like just the kind of messing about that my good lady hates me starting! Think I may enter the secondhand CD player market!
@Johnny R I have done exactly the same and got a grandad Arcam CD72t for cd playing.

I am actually condiering going out and getting the Panasonic DP-UB9000 as this will utilise analogue and hdmi in the way I and possibly you want.

Johnny R

Standard Member
I just need it as a transport really as I'm guessing the DAC in my NAD C658 is likely better than those in a old CD player so hopefully pick something up for a sensible price.

Had a CD72 before I went to streaming - nice bit of kit!

neuty

Distinguished Member
Have you tried an optical from 820 into your NAD and see what happens?

Johnny R

Standard Member
I haven't, was hoping someone else had so I didn't have to start going around the back of the kit 😜

Khazul

I would guess optical out would be the easiest way to do this. Set optical out to PCM. Probably some other settings to mess with as well (I think it has a high clarity mode that switches video output off for audio, cant remember).

ShadowWarrior

Yes it will work, I do the same with the 820 into a Naim dac. The 820 is also connected to the TV. What it will do is launch the player on the TV unless you disable the CEC (or VIERA Link) option.
As a default, if you play the CD it will also output through the HDMI as well as the optical out.
Two options here:
1) just turn the TV off or, switch the AV output to watch Sky or whatever.... No big deal..
2) Go into Set up>Player settings>Sound>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Output selection for audio playback>Audio output>>>> set to OPTICAL only. And bingo. No sound via HDMI on CDs.
Blurays and DVDS will still have sound on HDMI. It knows when it's playing a CD
So I can confirm it will send stereo out through the optical cable to the dac without mucking about every time!
Enjoy, I use it as my main transport for CDs...

Johnny R

Standard Member
Cheers Shadow Warrior! I managed to get an old Arcam CD player for £45 on Ebay yesterday so will use that till it inevitably dies in 6months and then swap over to the Panasonic!

Johnny R

Standard Member
Just to report back on this - the old-but-cheap Arcam CD player sounds pretty damn good for it's age and is in fantastic condition, externally at least. Hope it lasts longer than the 6 months I've predicted!

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom