Blu-Ray Playback on Sony Vaio AR11S

suhailjan said:
Hi Bluetimber

Did sony come back to you on the spdif problem? I've been struggling for days trying to get this to work too.

i had this problem with nividia purevideo. fixed it by purchaseing the full version and it gave me all the extra options. is the program your using the full version or just bundled software????

I've tried the bundled windvd, windvd bd (blu-ray), windows media player with ac3 filter, VLC media player and a demo of powerdvd. All of them fail to detect the spdif output.

suhailjan said:
Hi Bluetimber

Did sony come back to you on the spdif problem? I've been struggling for days trying to get this to work too.

Hi Suhailjan,

So far I have had five conversations with Vaio-Link and I am afraid to say they have been a waist of time. It goes like this, Tech dept said enable ac3 in audio options via control panel, I reply I've done that, they say I will have to refer it back to tech dept. After the fifth attempt on the fifth day I said please can I talk to tech dept and cut out the middle man so I can get this resolved, sorry they say thats not possible. I have not heard from them today so I guess they gave up.

I have owned 17 computers over fifteen years and i am sad to say this is the worst tech support I have come accross

The AR11S is the best laptop I have owned and I only buy the best spec machine I can find that best provides my requirements.

Its a shame tech support dont live upto this great piece of kit

Any way rant over sorry about that.

Today I found the answer.

Go into Media Centre than settings, general, Media Center Setup, Speaker settings and select SPDIF, than go into More Programs Intervideo and change audio config and select SPDIF. You can than close Media Center, open WinDVD goto setup audio you will then be able to select 6 chanel (5.1) you can then go into WinDVD BD and do the same thing the audio setup is slightly different but I am sure you will see it ok.

Hope this is of use to some of you Guys.

If I can be of any further help just shout.

Steve.

Hi peep's,

just got my first blu-ray movie "stealth"...and only played it on my laptop for couple minutes and instantly noticed static sound and freezing (less than a second - ntermittently) on playback....

Does it seem like I need the additional upgrade of 1gb ram?

Quick update, just played it again and this time played it with the power adapter connected to the laptop and plays well without any problem!?!? Did not play the whole movie, so not sure if this has cured it!?! Either way surprised (at the moment) it can't play just using the standard battery!

Any other advise would be appreciated:)

Hopefully will keep you updated!

p.s. where is the best place to get the 1gb ram from for this laptop??

Sony batteries, prone to all sorts of things ;) ....Boooomb :)

Had this laptop for over a month now and despite some initial teething problems and lack of multi-region capabilities I have grown to love it and use it as a desktop replacement.

For BD playback the recent Vaio updates are a necessity. I watched Good Night, Good Luck the other night and it worked perfectly though the audio keeps on jumping for some unknown reason.

Still having problems outputting true Dolby Digital to my Home Cinema amp. I have managed to get the SPDIF output working for VLC by activating it in the Control Panel but it is still greyed out on WinDVD and WinBD even after using Bluetimber's advice.

The recent update for WinBD was supposed to allow output via SPDIF but I can't get it to work and it is getting quite annoying.

Hi Guys,

Are any of you still having problems selecting 5.1 in WinDVD and WinDVD BD?

Steve.

Hi Guys,

Are any of you still having problems selecting 5.1 in WinDVD and WinDVD BD?

Steve.

The spdif option is still greyed out for me in both applications and the audio jumps constantly.

All 5.1 problems in Win DVD and Win BD have been solved by the recent Sigmatel Audio Drive upgrade available on the Vaio Support site. The spdif option is no longer greyed out and the correct signal is sent to an external home cinema amp. I watched THE DEVIL'S REJECTS last night and the picture and sound quality was perfect.

Just need to make the DVD drive multi-region and then the laptop will be perfect.

bought one of these killer machines yesterday......can't wait to play!:thumbsup:

Peep's,

need help...Blu-ray movie play back on laptop is ok but when connecting to my HDTV using HDMI cable (HDMI-SR) there seems to be a intermittent sound and freezing!:( I have downloaded the from Sony Vaio site the WinDVD BD, BIOS and all 3 optical drive firmware. It has helped a little but the picture freezing still ongoing:eek:

Anything im doing wrong...advice please.........:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom