Blu Ray playback judder

J1mbo

Hello folks!

Creepingly moving with the times I finally got myself a PS3 to go with my plasma.

Blu Ray playback is very impressive picture wise, except for quite a bit of image judder on even the smallest of camera moves and character movement.

Now, I'm still on an old Panny PX60 37" while I try to get hold of a second hand Pioneer - this is only 1080i compatible. I'd expect a certain amount of judder on big camera tracks, but is this semi-constant judder a result of the lack of proper 1080p, or simply poor processing on the part of the TV? It's pretty irritating.

Cheers!

James

MAX1210

Most Blu-Ray discs are encoded at 24p and this is optimum output frequency if your display properly supports it. Your PS3 will output 24p Blu-Ray movies at 60hz using a process called 2:3 pulldown. This process uses unequal 2:3 frame repeat that causes judder on motion that is especially noticeable on panning shots.

I get the same effect on my 42PX700.

D-an-W

What MAX1210 just said is also explained with graphics on the Disney WOW disc (Helped me get my head round it).

gingerone

Most Blu-Ray discs are encoded at 24p and this is optimum output frequency if your display properly supports it. Your PS3 will output 24p Blu-Ray movies at 60hz using a process called 2:3 pulldown. This process uses unequal 2:3 frame repeat that causes judder on motion that is especially noticeable on panning shots.

I get the same effect on my 42PX700.

You can select 24p on the ps3 which ensures it outputs 24p correctly, I don't get any judder with my ps3

MAX1210

You can select 24p on the ps3 which ensures it outputs 24p correctly, I don't get any judder with my ps3

Thanks, yes I know, but not with the OP's TV (or mine) as it does not accept a 24p signal :( If I'd waited for an 80/800 series one then it would've done :rolleyes:

J1mbo

Cheers folks. I suspected it was the TV compatibility, but would rather check first!

Now, who wants to sell me a 5090 or a KRP?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom