1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-ray? Pah! Holographic is what you want (HVD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StooMonster, Aug 8, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    <REMOVE>Apparently not funny.</REMOVE>The Economist, Science and technology section is usually pretty good, anyway in the current issue...

Holographic storage, thats what we want. One terabyte (1,000 gigabytes) of data on a CD/DVD sized disc. Equivalent to more than 50 DVDs on same disc space.

First read/write discs with half capacity, only 512GB or 25 DBDs, will be available in 2004. Although rival firms have lower capacity but higher transfer rates discs due in 2005, how's 75 megabytes a second for you?

So far home entertainment format cycles have been about 15 years long, could we see HVD as replacement for DVD rather than mid-DVD life cycle blu-ray.

I know that some people are very worried about not buying AV equipment because better and greater things are on the horizon. Hope this helps. :devil:

1 terrabyte of data transfered at 75 megabytes (not megabits) per second would probably result in cinema resolution (something like 2844x1600 at 16:9) with no compression -- although I don't have Excel on this PC so can't do the maths.

Where can I place my order for one of these puppies?

StooMonster

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Now THAT sounds the nutts :D

Of course it'll costs eleventy billion pounds for the first players and there'll be no media :D

Dave

3. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nooo, the powers that be will make sure that all those Super-Super-Super-High Res films that come on those discs (3000Mbps bit rate? that high enough?) are only watchable through an analogue signal. Through a cable that's been spliced together with the cheapest quality wires in the world. And only watchable in black and white. With added snow. Oh, and on nothing more than a 14" TV.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Just like blu-ray then!

StooMonster