• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-ray on 1080i different than on 1080p? A problem

Carradine

Standard Member
I have had a Playstation 3 for a year and a half now, and I have been watching countless blu-ray movies on it on my 1080i Sony Vega 50" LCD projection TV flawlessly.

I recently helped some family members install their new home theatre system, and they bought a stand alone blu-ray player. When watching "Planet Earth", the picture was absolutely horrible! It looked like a steaming video movie on the internet, artifacts like areas of the screen were being shown alomst as blocks of the same color.

So I suggested they buy a PS3 since it works fine on mine. But instead I brought my PS3 over to their house, and again, Planet Earth, and other blu-ray movies looked fuzzy, some had static, and just not blu-ray quality.

Fortunately they have 2 Hi-def displays. One is a BenQ overhead projector that displays in 1080p, and the other is a large (at least 50") LCD Flat Panel. And the picture looked absolutely horrible on both!

And just to make sure again, I just took my PS3 back home, ran Planet Earth and other movies again, and sure enough, they look perfect!

The only difference between my display, and the both of theirs is that mine is 1080i, and both of theirs are 1080p. And I did change my PS3 resolution to 1080p for their TVs, as well as their original stand alone blu-ray player.

And I missing some internal setting on their displays? Is there something like an encoding type you manually set to run hi-def content?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom