Blu Ray must-haves from France

desibeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a few Blu Rays that I only found from France (amazon.fr mostly), namely

A Very Long Engagement (one of my all-time favourites)
Les demoiselles de rochefort (by The Umbrellas of Cherbourg director Jacque Demys)
T.S. Spivet is another one I bought from France. At the time it was the only option. As a movie it looks great, but otherwise misses the mark.

The main problem is many French discs have forced French subs (if the language is not French) or no english subtitles (which I need).

I see The Red Turtle (in cinemas now -but not here in Cork) is out on Blu Ray in France and I was going to buy it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should get while I'm at it?
Any suggestions? I'd like to get Cyrano De Bergerac, but it seems the only French language/ english subtitles version is DVD only.

The Dutch edition of The Red Turtle is available from a uk seller on Amazon. I have my eye on the Spanish Apartment/Russian Dolls/Chinese Puzzle set which is only available in France and appears to be English Friendly. I also have the Taxi set which is English Friendly and quite nice.

A Very Long Engagement is OOP now. Not available anywhere

I have French discs of This Island Earth (better than the German discs) and the Mia Farrow thriller written by Brian Clemens Blind Terror AKA See No Evil although that looks to be coming from Indicator this year.
The best part of my multi region firmware upgrade is that it allows me to switch off the forced subs often found on French discs although I think all the half dozen or so discs I have where this is needed are all German. A couple of Argento Blurays, the 70's Famous Five tv series Bluray, and some CFF dvd's all need it - and Don't Torture A Duckling too which is now coming out here from Arrow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom