Blu Ray Lip Sync issues – list of problem discs

SaintJD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Having tried about 20 discs in my new BD60 I was disappointed to discover that, having heard about the problem from others before, I had lip sync issues on one disc, The Golden Compass.

As this has only happened on the one disc and I've heard others have had similar problems with this one, I wondered if I could help set up a list of titles that have this sort of issue, so we can avoid wasting our money on dud discs.

I'm using an optical cable to an amplifier and see from other forums that there is little to do to correct it bar buying a new receiver with HDMI audio link, which I won't be doing as this seems to be an oversight by certain disc manufacturers. Sync delay doesn't help.

So, here's the start of the lip sync disc problem list:

Golden Compass Blu Ray (DTS)

Anybody want to add some more? I can't find a similar list on review sites, so I guess someone has to provide a warning guide for others.

I'd like to see if there is a correlation between type of soundtrack on the list and distributor as well, just in case that helps me know when to steer clear.

I have used Blu ray for more than 3 years now and have yet to have a lip sync issue. I am sure there might be the odd disc out there but I suspect the vast majority is from poorly set up systems or incompatible equipment rather than the discs.

Same for me apart from The Red Shoes, but the lip sync problem on that was noted on some, but not all, review sites.

Well I watched Golden Compass on my BD50 and saw no lip-sync issues. Lent to my neighbour with his brand new BD60 and he didn't report any issues. I am connected to amp via optical and he is currently only connected via analogue stereo.

We both have Panasonic screens.

I wonder if you have an HDMI compatibility issue, my friend had various sound sync issues, with certain disks, with his old Sony LCD and BD60 player. Sold the screen and got a 42" Pansonic Freesat plasma and hasn't had sound sync issues since then.

First blu-ray film I bought, The Thing, lip-sync was out in chapters 18-20 and then was fine again! I cannot see how it would be a problem with setup or anything else as it was specific to only these chapters from my Panasonic BD60 through my Onkyo Amp or through Component direct to my Panasonic 42" Plasma.

Maybe a mild warning when thinking of buying this film.

Last edited:
I had only read about lip sync issues with BR until I bought Gran Torino.

It was so grim it was awful to watch.

Then I realised I had the TV Motionflow turned on. Turned it off and it was perfect.

I have watched other BR's with Motionflow inadvertently switched on with no issues so perhaps the way Gran Torino was filmed made the image processing gizmo work overtime.

I am running a Panny BD50 nad have noted lip sync on a number of discs. i dont follow the potential for non compatible or poorly set up systems as this would present the problem all the time and my experience is that its related to certain discs and i mean certain discs not films.

My copy of Mamma Mia is terrible (in some scenes its about 1 second out which is huge!) but i have borrowed other peoples discs and theirs have played fine on my set up? i rented gran torino (mentioned above) and it was perfect but thats not to say the copy you have is. MummyIII fades in and out of sync across several chapters and the latest XMen Wolverine i bought is just ever so slightly out in about 3 chapters. Elsewhere its fine.

I am going to (when i get around to it) rent a copy of wolverine from blockbusters to see if its the same. I dont think it will be. I am becoming more convinced its a production issue of the discs themselves not the content on them. About 18 months ago i found a lot of the Universal studios DTS MA discs were bad but later ones dont throw up so much out sync.
It could just be new technology and the pressing machines or whatever they are called not being quite up to the mark for true mass production.

I'm running a Panny BD80 and have just run into my 1st lip sync disc. It's the X-Men Wolverine BD. I've checked over 20 BD disks afterwards and none of them have a lip sync problem.

How many other people have lip sync problems with the Wolverine disc?

Didn't really notice any issue with lip-synch on Wolverine. I have noticed issues with other discs, but I can't recall exactly what they were. will post here when I remember.

tried Wolverine on about 6 players, no issues here

The Rush "Snakes and Arrows" Blu-ray disc has serious lip sync problems, a real shame since it's otherwise perfect in both audio and video quality.

I'm gonna have to get my hands on another Wolverine BD and see if that one has the same problem. Look like it's rental time.

I remember now...Street Kings had lip synch issues, but that was with my old Samsung player. I've not had any issues yet using my Sony, and I can't check Street Kings as I sold it.

First blu-ray film I bought, The Thing, lip-sync was out in chapters 18-20 and then was fine again! I cannot see how it would be a problem with setup or anything else as it was specific to only these chapters from my panasonic BD60 through my Onkyo Amp or through Component direct to my Panasonic 42" Plasma.

Maybe a mild warning when thinking of buying this film.

I decided to get the US version of the Blu-ray, it works just fine on the same setup, seems the problem was with the UK version.

I found slight - but distracting - lip sync issues in the second quarter of The Bourne Supremacy; particularly when Pamela Landy is speaking. But, by the middle of the film the issues seemed to disappear.....

This is the only BD lip-sync issue I have had so far, including The Bourne Identity which I found to be spot on.

This is a worthwhile thread - let's keep it going and share experiences.

I agree with Garibaldi Red, this is a really worthwhile post we need to keep updated. I will check here every time I intend to buy a BD from now on, I hope the release of the extended editions of Lord Of The Rings trilogy will have no problems when it eventually arrives, I was bitterly disappointed with the problems I encountered on band Of Brothers, but Amazon have refunded me so they must have had quite a few returns of that series.

I have run into this problem as well and was looking into my setup to see if there could be an explanation. I've also noticed that the lip sync issue is worse at different chapters in the film and so unlikely to be a setup issue (although I'm still investigating).

Most recent movie with a lip sync issue was "The Hangover." Only happens about 2/3 of the way into the movie. When it starts, it is bad, but then it gets better as the movie continues.

Deep Impact

light lip-sync problems of varying degrees up until after the garden party before the launch - not bad enough to completely ruin the experience completely but I am disappointed.

I have just watched 'The Matrix' on blu-ray for the first time. For much of the film the lip-synching is perfect but in some scenes (including the nice bit where Trinity whispers her declaration of love for Neo) it is all over the place. Disappointing given how long the film has been out on DVD.

Watchmen - Directors cut - quite bad for about 20 minutes of the middle part of the film. This was the Warners Region A version, not sure if its the same for the Paramount UK release.

First blu-ray I tried and it had varying lip sync issues throughout the film. Many reports on the web also say the same thing. I can't see this being an issue with 'poorly set up system' etc as wouldn't it therefore affect all discs??

Thankfully every disc I have tried since has been ok (to date!!).

By the way, don't bother with this movie - lip sync or not - it's a real stinker (IMHO!) ;)

What I'm finding is that you can either get rid of lip sync issues or not depending on what audio options your blu ray player offers.

I had a panasonic BD60, which, if you switched on 24p and adjusted the settings on the audio, was able to solve lip sync issues on problem discs, but it was annoying because you'd have to play around until you found a setting that worked depending on the disc. It also had random picture freezing, so I took it back.

I then tried the Sony 360, which didn't have any audio setting to solve lip sync problems over optical and had handshake issues – so again it had to go back.

Note that, according to popular reviews, these two players are apparently awesome.

Finally tried the cheapo £79 Samsung 1580 and it doesn't seem to have freeze problems AND I've had no lip synch problems at all on any discs, even problem ones like Sin City and Golden Compass, using the Audiophile setting.

I needed to update the firmware as it wouldn't play some discs to start with, but it is fine now and, fingers crossed, has performed really well so far.

Motion judder is a problem if you don't put 24p on, but it is fine with it on.

So my general thought is that the choice of player and range of audio output options is the key to avoiding lip sync issues.

Unfortunately as you can't check it until you get home, it can be the case of having to try them out and take them back if they aren't fit for purpose, then maybe the manufacturers will get it right first time.

Buying from a company with a solid returns policy that cares about customers is also advisable and I've learned to avoid companies with the ridiculous 'if the box is opened you can't take it back' policy.

So many products are being released with obvious glitches and compatibility issues, mainly due to HDMI copyright control, that it can be a case of trial and error.

Having a 28 day returns policy to fall back on is also vital, because while you can have no problem with the majority of discs, you might only become aware of an issue after stumbling on a problem disc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom