Blu-Ray HDMI Audio to a TV

The1970

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new TV (a SONY 32W5810) and I was about to buy a Blu-Ray player to go with it, but suddenly had a thought...

If a disc has a DTS-type soundtrack, will I be able to hear audio out of the TV speakers? Is there any audio codec on a Blu-Ray disc that wouldn't be audiable out of the TV speakers?

I will be connecting it via HDMI obviously...

Thankks

Hello,

Your TV will still play sound so you don't have to worry about that. I'm not sure how it works technically - either the studios have to include a stereo track on the discs or the player converts one of the multichannel tracks to stereo when it detects a stereo TV... something like that anyway :)

I believe the player will downmix to two channel pcm which your telly will recognise, the audio settings on your player should enable you to do this.

If you were playing a DVD with a DTS soundtrack selected on a standard DVD player, you wouldn't hear anything. Blu-ray players are different, and as MI55ION says, will decode/downmix the audio so it will play OK through your TV.

If you were playing a DVD with a DTS soundtrack selected on a standard DVD player, you wouldn't hear anything. Blu-ray players are different, and as MI55ION says, will decode/downmix the audio so it will play OK through your TV.

Some DVD players can still send the DTS though the TV speakers. My Sony NS900 does. The sound is usually lower though than when selecting DD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom