Blu-ray - HDMI 1.4 or 2.0?

jacobe

I have a 2012 Yamaha receiver (HDMI 1.4a), a Sony BD player (HDMI 2.0) and an Optoma projector with two HDMI inputs, one is 2.0 and one is 1.4a.

Before I got the Yamaha I ran the Sony BD player in "AV Separation" mode with picture going straight to the PJ's HDMI 2.0-input while the sound was going through an older Pioneer receiver, and a PS3 went to the PJ's 1.4-input the same way. Nowadays I run everything through the Yamaha, one of my reasons for getting it.

Now I'm thinking - am I missing out on picture quality running only HDMI 1.4 with the Blu-ray player? Is there anything to gain from playing blu-rays via 2.0 vs 1.4a?

Prism

Standard Member
2.0 will only really benefit you if you want to push HDR content or 4K at more than 24Hz - assuming you projector even supports this. Hope this helps!

jacobe

Well, it's not a 4K-player, but it can upscale, so I assume that's why it has a 2.0 output then. My PJ is an E-shift "FauxK" Optoma, so maybe I'm better off connecting my Xbox One S directly to its HDMI 2.0 input? Then again, in that case I'd be locked to max. 5.1 from optical output :(

Appreciate your help!

Prism

Standard Member
I would personally run it all through the receiver unless you are interested in HDR. As far as I'm aware, the One S cant game in 4K and the vast majority, if not all films are shot at 24fps anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom