1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD - will they play and upscale DVD??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ramspeed, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Maybe this has been answered elsewhere but will the soon to arrive high definition players support standard DVD and will they upscale them to 720p etc? Wondering for example whether the PS3 will be make a suitable high def/standard def DVD player...

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    probably, if you use HDMI.

Can you tell that's me guessing? :)

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Since most new DVD players can upscale through HDMI and DVI-D theres a good chance this will be one of the features of Blu Ray and HD DVD players. After all, DVDs are going to be arround for a good while longer!

4. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I suppose hardware manufacturers will offer as little backward compatibility with dvd as possible to encourage owners of the new blue ray/ hd dvd palyer to purchase their favourite movies all over again.
    To be honest the manufacturers are in the business of making money. If they build a new format player, they want all of us to buy the new format movie title even if we have them in an old format dvd. And by the look of things we will probably buy the movies titles all over again as they will look so good in either 720p, or 1080i/p!!

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think both blue ray players and HD-DVD will really try thier hardest as all dvd players play CDs VCDs etc I havent a clue about the different types of lasers so dont know if it is even possible but would think that they will play DVD at least.
    I agree if your into your AV then you will keep buying your same favourite films all over again each time a new technology comes out I have done the same with VHS > DVD > and I will again probably go with blue ray because of the larger capacity so that would mean lots of space to use up with a mad quality bit rate :)

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Both BluRay and HD-DVD are backwards compatible with DVD video. I suspect it is highly likely that they will upscale SD DVD to HD for output over HDMI. It sounds increasingly as if they won't output HD via Component analogue at all - from either HD-DVD or DVD discs. (Not sure about BluRay in this regard yet in terms of HD - but it won't offer upscaled DVD in HD via component I'm pretty certain - as this is against the rules of the DVD Forum)

7. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, the PS3 is a Blu-Ray HD movie player, but it supports pretty much every other kind of CD/DVD as well.

Depending on the picture quality, I may well ditch my dedicated DVD player in favour of the PS3 and use that for everything - but I'll wait and see!

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Don't want them to do this at all. I want BluRay / HD DVD to ouput DVD as 480i/576i over HDMI, then I can feed this to my choice of scaler.

StooMonster

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I suspect that best-case this will be optional on some players. AIUI some displays don't support 480i/576i over HDMI/DVI as it requires pixel repetition to get the pixel clock rate high-enough?

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Arcam do a very nice job of this with their DV79 HDMI enabled DVD player, precisely because they take onboard customer feedback that some people want to connect to scalers and not directly to displays.

I hope they continue to offer 480i/576i over HDMI when they are manufacturing HD DVD / BluRay players some day.

StooMonster