Blu-Ray / HD-DVD Sound

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dr_Mike, May 26, 2004.

1. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Anyone know, or like to speculate on what sort of sound formats will be on the next generation movie disks ?

From what I've read, 8 channel Sony SDDS is the daddy in cinemas at the moment, do you think we'lll ever see it as a consumer format ?

2. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-DVD is expected to support lossless 24-bit/48khz audio for movies in addition to DD++ and possibly DTS++ as well.

Don't know much about Blu-Ray's audio specs for movies though DD5.1 will surely be supported.

3. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Rimmer, what do you mean by DD++ and DTS++, are you generally suggesting "better version of" or have Dolby and DTS actually announced enhanced versions of their formats ?

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Mike,

Here is a link to the minutes from the last DVD Forum Steering Committee meeting regarding audio and video formats for HD-DVD. As you can see, they haven't decided yet! :rolleyes: As for Blu-ray, I believe they will stick with DD for audio and MPEG2 for video. :suicide:

http://www.dvdforum.org/25scmtg-resolution.htm

Steve

5. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Steve,

The DVD forum mention DD++ and DTS++ as well, although I coudn't find any mention of them on Dolby or DTS websites.

I can't imagine them launching the 'DVD replacement' without putting something new in to encourage us all to upgrade our AV processor / surround amps (maybe I'm being too cynical) My amps due an upgrade anyway, but I'd like to think about future proofing.