Blu Ray / HD-DVD rental reliability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by richard15088, Sep 9, 2007.

1. richard15088

richard15088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I currently watch a lot of rental DVDs on Lovefilm and can now get Blu ray and HD-DVD on Lovefilm so was wondering about buying a new generation player.

One of the reasons I am hesitating is problems in the past with reliability of DVD players. I am currently on my third in about 4 years. The first two - the award winning Toshiba SD220 and the SD330 - I found useless for playing DVD rentals. The 220 would freeze on about 33% of movies and the 330 had lockups at the end after playing movies for over a hour (heat related I think) -luckily refunded by Amazon after 10 months. I finally got a Sony DVP-NS30 based on good reports and I am glad to say it has never frooze - only stuttering on about 2 DVDs in around 100 rental DVDs.

Now with Blu Ray and HD-DVDs I would expect the problems to be worse - as higher density media presumable means more sensitive to damage. Also the technology still seems very immature.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the Blu rays/ HD-DVDs
    with rental copies. Would anybody recommend a model which gives reliable results ?

Thanks
    Richard

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You mentioned that you thought one of the problems was related to heat buildup. Maybe you have an inherrent heat related problem with your setup and it would be best to resolve this before running the risk of buying other equipment that possibly may even more sensitive to the heat.

I had heat issues in an enclosed cabinet that I 99% resolved by adding more ventillation. I now only have a problem on very hot days having had the equipment on for a very long period of time. But I guess that is someones way of telling me to go outside.

I also now turn some unused AV equipment off via remote control to conserve power when in standby (~100 watts) but this also allows the ambient temperature in parts of the cabinet to drop.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have had about 60 Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs from Lovefilm
    no problems with any of them, but I use a PC for playback.

4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've had about 12 from Lovefilm (50:50 split), all the BR's played OK but two HD-DVD's had to go back. These two appeared to be scratched, was probably the renters rather than the players I reckon?

:smashin:

5. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Either you both have been really lucky or I've had a really bad experience. I used to be with Lovefilm for Standard DVD's so when I went HD I thought I'd put a lot of disks in my rental list for both formats.. in a period of 1 month all I got was 1 film.. unforgiven on HD DVD and that was it. Nothing else came through for 3 weeks and when I checked on the list every one of them had a little symbal saying "long wait" so I cancelled out of anger. Would'nt have minded if it had been only one or two big releases but I'd stuck about 60 films plus on there.

6. richard15088

richard15088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, this is exactly what I feared. Rentals are basically forced to get scratched. With better DVD players they will continue to be played (my Sony has never failed to play any in over a hundred). This post confirms my fear that the players firmware are not robust enough to cater for scraches. I know from experience this would ruin any enjoyment I might get from the extra resolution so I think I must stick with DVD for a while longer.

7. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108

this is the reason why i have not gone back,when we used to rent the SD films i would have about 20+ film's on my list.............and it would take for ever to get any of the recent stuff so i canceled.your better of buying a couple of films watching them and just trade them on here with other members:smashin:

8. richard15088

richard15088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes - Lovefilm have really got bad recently - I will be swapping to Blockbuster after my current deal runs out (to good to refuse at the moment). It still leaves the fact all DVDs I get from them work - and it looks like half of HD-DVDs might not on the current crop of players.
    Anyhow thanks for the feedback.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have about 20 on my list (only HD formats) and have been sent at least 3 a week for the last 6 months (ish)

10. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    if you think Lovefilm is bad. Blockbusters are Apalling,personally i think Lovefilm give a great service!
    good turn around time and damaged discs replaced promptly.
    i would rather go without than return to BB....

11. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had about a dozen blueray from love film
    all played perfect cant fault them(play in a ps3)
    jim

12. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,695
    Lovefilm were slow to start sending me HD stuff (Blu Ray and HD DVD) but I get a least couple a week now, all have played perfectly.

13. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,126
    Had about 10 Blu Ray and 10 HD DVD's from Love film and they've all played on my PS3 and E1.

The same as gooner they were a bit slow to send them out but I've had 20 in my first month so well happy

14. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    i've had loads of blu-ray thru tesco (LoveFilm) - got about a 50:50 split of DVD and BD, if i put some blurays into my most wanted priority list, I usually get them asap :smashin:

good quick turnaround too, i post back on Monday, they post out on Tuesday, i receive on Wednesday :smashin: