• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu Ray & HD DVD player imports

B

bengy_23

Hi.

I know this thread has probably been done like a million times, and i have searched this topic, however, i dont understand the jargon in the threads..

Basically, ive just moved out of my parents house and have brought the F series Samsung (1080p) LCD and a KEF KIT 6001 speaker package with the denon AVR 2807 amp... I want to buy either a Blu Ray player or HD DVD player to go with my home cinema.

In the UK it seems apart from the 2nd generation Toshiba, it is going to be a while until 2nd generation Blu Ray and other HD players come out.... I want to buy a 2nd or preferably 3rd generation Blu Ray or HD dvd player because i want it to last a good few years without me having to update it..

Now my question is, well i have seen a few US websites that you can import 2nd Gen HD players from.. Now if i buy them from there, will they work over here in the UK? Will all the scarts and plugs be the same? And can i use any HD Dvds??

Is it recommended to buy from the states? Or should i just wait until they are out over here? And if soo how long am i going to be looking at waiting? And would Blu Ray or HD DVD would you reccomend i buy?

Sorry for such a long post, i really havent got a danny about electronical stuff, if you could reply without using jargon that would be appreciated...

runner05

Banned
Hi.

I know this thread has probably been done like a million times, and i have searched this topic, however, i dont understand the jargon in the threads..

Basically, ive just moved out of my parents house and have brought the F series Samsung (1080p) LCD and a KEF KIT 6001 speaker package with the denon AVR 2807 amp... I want to buy either a Blu Ray player or HD DVD player to go with my home cinema.

In the UK it seems apart from the 2nd generation Toshiba, it is going to be a while until 2nd generation Blu Ray and other HD players come out.... I want to buy a 2nd or preferably 3rd generation Blu Ray or HD dvd player because i want it to last a good few years without me having to update it..

Now my question is, well i have seen a few US websites that you can import 2nd Gen HD players from.. Now if i buy them from there, will they work over here in the UK? Will all the scarts and plugs be the same? And can i use any HD Dvds??

Is it recommended to buy from the states? Or should i just wait until they are out over here? And if soo how long am i going to be looking at waiting? And would Blu Ray or HD DVD would you reccomend i buy?

Sorry for such a long post, i really havent got a danny about electronical stuff, if you could reply without using jargon that would be appreciated...

the first gen uk players are the same a a 2nd gen usa player,

scart, dont even mention those in the HD forum:nono: , you will need to use HDMI or componat, and yes they will fit uk tvs fine.

importing is great as you save money and get stuff before uk release, but remember no warenty.:lesson:

B

bengy_23

Cheers...
So would you reccomend getting one from the states? Would it be as easy to set up as a UK version, eg i wouldnt have to buy stuff to make it work over here?
Wot good sites are there to import players from the states? The only one i have found is worlddvdusa.com.

Wot blu ray or hd dvd do you suggest i get?

runner05

Banned
Cheers...
So would you reccomend getting one from the states? Would it be as easy to set up as a UK version, eg i wouldnt have to buy stuff to make it work over here?
Wot good sites are there to import players from the states? The only one i have found is worlddvdusa.com.

Wot blu ray or hd dvd do you suggest i get?

the only thing you will need is a step down converter to run them on uk power. for hd dvd i would say go for a HD-E1 and for blu-ray get a usa ps3, and add a amp that can take pcm audio then you are convered for a few years.

best importer i think is www.movietyme.com

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom