• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-ray HD Audio with Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H question.

mc6701

Hi all,

I have a HTPC that i have built a while ago around a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H and AMD 4850e with 4gb of ram running W7 64bit.

After needing to us the dvd drive for another system i have just bought a Samsung BD ROM/DVD writer drive (BD COMBO) SH-B083A to replace it.

I currently out put audio via spdif to my Sony 5.1 amp, but i am looking to replace this and get a new amp that will out put all the HD audio..........

So my question is..... will the HTPC set up i have out put HD losses dts hd MA stuff via the hdmi out to a new amp to decode or will i need something else??

Ps. I do have Power DVD/Blu-ray software version 10.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

jameson_uk

the 780G chipset does not support HD audio at all. It will output S/PDIF over HDMI but it will still be the same signal you are getting over your optical cable.

If you wanted HD audio then the easiest (and cheapest) way is by upgrading to a 5450 GPU but unless you are on Windows 7 you will only be able to output LPCM and not bitstream HD audio to your amp

mc6701

Thanks Jameson.

I am running Widows 7 64 bit.............so i take it the 5450 doesn't decode anything it just allows the audio stuff to pass to the amp for that to decode via hdmi??

Will a 5450 do this for all hd audio formats? (bit unsure what dts hd ma and and bit stream all means at the mo, will have to do a bit of reading i think).

Again thanks.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Thanks Jameson.

I am running Widows 7 64 bit.............so i take it the 5450 doesn't decode anything it just allows the audio stuff to pass to the amp for that to decode via hdmi??

Yep - the 5450 supports a "Protected Audio Path" - which means it is allowed to send DTS HD MA/HR and Dolby True HD audio as a bitstream for your amp to decode.

Your motherboard only allows you to send SPDIF quality audio over HDMI (same as using a Toslink/Coax SPDIF connection) which is limited to 2.0 PCM or DVD quality DD/DTS audio.

Will a 5450 do this for all hd audio formats? (bit unsure what dts hd ma and and bit stream all means at the mo, will have to do a bit of reading i think).

Again thanks.

There are four main HD audio formats :

1. PCM Multichannel - which is uncompressed. (This was used on early Blu-rays before Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio were properly finalised and available for mastering, and is still used on some discs)

2. Dolby True HD - which is lossless but compressed (think of a zip file - the contents are absolutely unaltered but the size is reduced)

3. DTS HD Master Audio - which, like Dolby True HD, is lossless but compressed.

4. DTS HD High Resolution - which IS lossily compressed (i.e. it loses some audio information compared to the original) but much higher quality than DTS or Dolby Digital DVD legacy formats.

The 5450 will send all of these as-is over HDMI for your amp to handle.

mc6701

Thanks for the info Stephen Neal.........the cloudy waters are now a bit clearer.:laugh:

So.......can any one recommend me an amp.........budget £300......or do i need spend more??

MikeK

As your amp has a multichannel input, you can connect up your onboard audio jacks direct to the amp and have PowerDVD or TMT decode the HD audio in the PC.

This will at least allow you to sample HD audio for yourself before shelling out on a new amp and video card. The only cost is for three "3.5mm stereo jack to dual phono" cables, which can be bought for under a tenner (unless you already have some)!

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Yep - your motherboard should support analogue 5.1 connection to your existing amp, assuming it has an external analogue 5.1 multichannel input (usually 6 RCA phonos)

Wouldn't recommend doing this full time - many on-board D/A converters and output circuits can be a bit noisy (and aren't really designed for HiFi use) - but it will give you a feel for how much better than DD/DTS the HD audio formats can be.

If you decide to go for a new amp, then I'd look at Onkyo. We bought a Sony 810 and its PSU blew up after 4 months. The Onkyo we replaced it with is still going strong 18 months later.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom