• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-Ray: Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last!" (1923)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Due for release on Criterion Blu-Ray on June 18, 2013 (US)
- New 2K digital film restoration
- Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo
- Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural
- Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll
- Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd’s granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment
- Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989
- Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz (1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson
- Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron
- New interview with Davis
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

Also getting a theatrical outing in the US

Janus Films is proud to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Lloyd's crowning achievement with a new DCP restoration sourced from an original nitrate element as well as freshly-struck 35mm prints, all featuring Carl Davis's sparkling score.

The DCP of Safety Last! was created from a 2K transfer of an original nitrate print. Over 300 hours of digital work went into cleaning the image. Composer Carl Davis then re-synced his original score to the restored master to create the best possible match for theatrical presentation.

Safety Last! will be showing throughout April, May & June in selected US cinemas

U.S. Re-release Trailer

12274k.jpg

bosque

Distinguished Member
Sounds fantastic, I haven't got any comedies in my collection so this will be my first comedy on Blu-Ray. We're in the Golden Age of Home Video if they can put this out for punters on HD !

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Spotted this in the recent Criterion newsletter, a must buy for me! I've not seen it in many years.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom