blu ray films - detailed info on audio options

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per the title, where can i find detailed info on audio options, as this is very important to many people, and websites are sometimes very vague as to whether or not uncompressed 5.1 dts hd/ dolby true, is available. (obviously i can walk into a store here in the uk and check myself(but its more convenient on the web, but on imports its a little trickier. any links would be appreciated!

The reason i ask this question is, i was watching MI-3,Region B which only has normal 5.1 (i thought to myself, this film is crying out for an uncompressed soundtrack. i will be upgrading my amp in the near future, to make good use of these new tracks, and what to stock up asap, so im ready

Thanks in advance

Ignore this, I'm talking rubbish...

I believe that all BDs have LPCM on them. Problem solved.

This is quite incorrect, far from all Blu ray discs have uncompressed LPCM soundtracks (weren't you told this in an earlier thread?) Fox, Paramount and Warner (except the Departed) discs do not have LPCM soundtracks - they choose instead either DTS HD Master Audio, DTS HD Core (1.5Mbps), Dolby Digital and rarely DolbyTrueHD.

To the OP I would suggest having a look at either AVplay or www.highdefdigest.com to see which discs have what particular soundtrack.

This is quite incorrect, far from all Blu ray discs have uncompressed LPCM soundtracks (weren't you told this in an earlier thread?) Fox, Paramount and Warner (except the Departed) discs do not have LPCM soundtracks - they choose instead either DTS HD Master Audio, DTS HD Core (1.5Mbps), Dolby Digital and rarely DolbyTrueHD.

To the OP I would suggest having a look at either AVplay or www.highdefdigest.com to see which discs have what particular soundtrack.

Jackal>
Thanks for advising. Sorry, must have missed your previous correction to my post. Useful to know. Glad that someone is awake around here, clearly not me.

I believe that all BDs have LPCM on them. Problem solved.

there is no lpcm on MI-3 region B as mentioned in my OP.only 5.1 DD at full rate..from what i remember? plus there maybe regional differences.

There's no quick and easy one here. I find Amazon are usually good on info, you just have to reseach each individual movie, making sure it's the version you intand to buy, ie it's no good for you looking at the .com site, it has to be the .co.uk unless it's a known region free title and you are going to import it. There are some surprising omissions on HD discs of both formats audio wise, the sudios should get their act together. The disc cost so much more, I expect more from them.

<cough> AVS Blu-ray Forum sticky</cough>

The website HighDefDigest.com is a useful resource, with press releases and disc reviews announced regularly, with full specs.

I love high def audio, so currently BD is my format of choice. Although not all BD releases have LPCM, a significant number do, and far more frequently than (say) TrueHD on HD DVD.

I am dual format now, but have only purchased (I think) 3 HD DVD titles this year, as opposed to 20 or more on BD. Part of this may be due to the reduced number of HD DVD releases in the earlier part of the year. One recent HD DVD title I picked up was Happy Feet, as this has TrueHD track, and the BD version was DD only. My choice is generally driven by the audio options, as in terms of picture quality there is nothing to choose between the two formats.

The website HighDefDigest.com is a useful resource, with press releases and disc reviews announced regularly, with full specs.

I love high def audio, so currently BD is my format of choice. Although not all BD releases have LPCM, a significant number do, and far more frequently than (say) TrueHD on HD DVD.

I am dual format now, but have only purchased (I think) 3 HD DVD titles this year, as opposed to 20 or more on BD. Part of this may be due to the reduced number of HD DVD releases in the earlier part of the year. One recent HD DVD title I picked up was Happy Feet, as this has TrueHD track, and the BD version was DD only. My choice is generally driven by the audio options, as in terms of picture quality there is nothing to choose between the two formats.

Yeah had a good look at highdefdigest last night, great resource...only thing though..american releases only...so only relevant if region free (or you have an american machine!

but thanks anyway:thumbsup:

our very own AVPlay (link at the top of all pages) details the soundtracks on all its bluray (and HDDVD) reviews.

our very own AVPlay (link at the top of all pages) details the soundtracks on all its bluray (and HDDVD) reviews.

DOH ! should follow my own strap line in my signature...AV Forums there is no substitute !!! :D

Can any of these formats be enjoyed via current HDMI receivers (I have Yamaha 2700 which is HDMI ver. 1.2) DTS HD Master Audio, DTS HD Core (1.5Mbps), DolbyTrueHD? I have a PS3 which can be set to output LPCM. My question really is can the above be enjoyed over LPCM?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom