Blu-Ray films and DTS MA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by PUD the Ancient, Jan 23, 2008.

1. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    If a Blu-ray player allows bitstream to an Amp that can decode DTS MA will all Blu-ray films allow this? I was under the impression that some disks force the player to do the decoding or am I mistaken.

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    i dont think the disk can force the player to do it.. its just some players like the ps3, dont at the moment output via bitstream.. they convert to PCM..

3. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I woud not have thought so either as there are no players that can decode DTS MA so if you could not Bitstream it there would be no way to decode it. Saying that I am sure there was some talk on the forums a while ago that the disks would force internal decoding of TrueHD and DTS MA.

I have a PS3 at the moment and am considering a standalone that will do bitstream but the would be pointless if the disks will not allow it.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,517
    It's not down to the disc.

Either the player can decode it internally and send it as PCM or it can not. In the case of the PS3, it can not currently decode DTS-HD MA.

You need either a player that can decode it internally, or providing you have a capable amp, a player that can send it via bitstream.

5. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks Greg, that is what I needed to know. I already have a Yamaha 3800 that can do the decoding for me and just wanted to confirm this before I purchase a player that can do Bitstream.

Thanks

Paul

6. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    One thing to remember (and at the moment a bit of an issue IMO) is that if you bitstream the output you lose all sound on the second channel ie interactive stuff, PiP etc.

The sound formats really do seem to be a mess, particularly on BD. Some say bitstream sounds better, but you lose the second channel, while lpcm sounds good it uses alot of disc space compared to TrueHD/DTS-MA.

Going forward i think sound on BD will always be a mess, you just have to look at the current sound compatibility charts for BD players, their all over the place. For me you can argue long and hard over profiles, but a lack of any minimum sound specs on BD players was a mistake IMO. I have no idea what will be the std going forward from where we are now.

One thing that always surprised me was how uninterested the likes of DTS and Dolby seem to have been in the whole format issue and specifically their sound formats. They've been pretty anonymous though this whole affair. My suspicion is their not that bothered as from what i've read they get the same royalties for any movie through the DD and DTS on the DVD, with nothing extra for TrueHD/DTSMA on the HDM. Does this mean they don't expect DVD to lose ;)

7. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I am not really bothered about Pip and interactive stuff, I just want to be able to watch movies with DTS MA and the only way to do that at the minute seems to be to get a player that can do bitstream to my Amp.

I hear what you are saying about Blu-ray, the specs at the moment are a complete mess. I have to say though that I just want to watch movies so all this pip and interactive stuff for version 1.1 and 2 do not really interest me.
    Will probably just get a profile 1 machine that can do bitstream so I listen to DTS MA tracks in all there glory.

Thanks

Paul

8. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110