• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-Ray Files?

beezer123

Standard Member
I don't know whether this sounds stupid or not, but here goes.

I've searched the forum but couldn't come across anything about this.

Is it possible to download a blu-ray film file onto a hard drive then play it on a PS3?

in the same way you would play a film on a PS3 using the correct file type.

Would it work and if so would it still be blu-ray quality?

Matt306

Technically the PS3 can play back AVCHD files from a USB storage device, so it's possible, there might be some limitation os file size though.

I have seen an AVCHD video copied onto a Dual Layer DVDR and the quality is very good.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
The PS3 will only read external HDD's that are FAT32 formatted which limits you to files of 4Gb so you wont be able to rip a Blu-ray to a single file and play it even if it supported them raw.

stuart1976

If you saved the Blu-Ray file to your PC Hard Drive and then stream it to your PS3 this will get around the 4GB file limit.

I've done this with a couple of movies and the picture quality is the same, as far as I can see anyway.

bodas73

What software are you using to rip the Blu-ray files to your HD? As this would be the approach I would prefer to use:thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
What software are you using to rip the Blu-ray files to your HD? As this would be the approach I would prefer to use:thumbsup:

AnyHD will rip Blu-rays and HD-DVD's to your HDD.

antraf1982

Standard Member
Hi,

This is thread related although slightly expands on its remit.

I have already "Backed Up" my Blu-ray movies to my computer currently as ISO's that have been passed through AnyDVD.

If I mount the ISO then share the Virtual Drive will the PS3 play the native Bluray disk or is there a way to without having to convert the fileformat somehow?

Thanks in Advance!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom