Blu-ray dvd region hack?

BlueWorldOrder

Standard Member
Hi,

Looking to buy a blu-ray to go with my new 42" panny plasma. Is there one out there which can play multi region dvd's? Not too bothered about the blu-ray player itself being multi region, more worried about the dvd playback function as I've got tonnes of region 1 dvds.
Any recommendations guys?

Thanks

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Plenty of threads showing Sony 350 / 550 and Panny 35 / 55 (both discontinued models now) with decent feedback and easy multi region DVD capability. Pioneers also easily hackable I think but never done one myself.

emthree

Hi,

Looking to buy a blu-ray to go with my new 42" panny plasma. Is there one out there which can play multi region dvd's? Not too bothered about the blu-ray player itself being multi region, more worried about the dvd playback function as I've got tonnes of region 1 dvds.
Any recommendations guys?

Thanks
Well, as you can likely see from the Blu Ray thread, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic Blu Ray players can all be made region free for DVD play, if you happen to have a Harmony remote. I bought my-self a Panasonic BD-35. Excellent little player, and it took all of 3-4 minutes to make it region free, once I was p-mailed the Harmony log-in details by AV Junkie. Hope this helps.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Yes, the Pioneers are easily hackable too. If you do have many R1 DVD's then if your TV can't do it, the Panasonic BD35/55 will convert NTSC DVD's to 1080p/24 for smoother playback. I would expect this feature to be carried over to the new models, and might be the reason to go for Panasonic in your case.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom