Blu-ray dvd players worth £800 when ps3 only £400

T

TLT

I dont understand that the new Blu-ray dvd players are worth stupid money like £800 minimum and around £1000 average.

Why doesnt everyone just buy a Ps3 when you can not just only use it for the blu-ray but for as you know plenty of other uses.

If it is such an expensive and top of the range technology then how have sony managed to make money on the ps3's if the technology is so dear.

Its all gone straight over my head.:suicide:

Can anyone tell me why this is and how its half the price.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

JamesOD

Established Member
Sony are making huge losses on every PS3 they sell theo.

Sony use the price of games to subsidise the losses they make on the hardware whereas the stand alone player manufacturers make mony on every machine sold.

onkeh

Prominent Member
It's true an all-in-one can never be as good as a stand-alone player, I still have my upscaling DVP-NS76H connected via component and it knocks spots of any other integrated player without a doubt.

AML

Prominent Member
None of this really answer the question though.

I remember lots of forum members ribbing the PS3 (before it was even out) on its BD playback abilites.

As it turns out its a pretty good player and easily on par with whats out just now. Im sure eventually a stand alone player will over take the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. But at the moment its a pretty good player and a bargain.

Just because a stand alone may have better components, doesnt mean that its going to be a better player over all.

At the end of the day if it does 1080p and DTS HD/Dolby True HD then its good enough for me.

(By the way, I beleive that most stand alone players out now DONT support DTS HD and True HD while the PS3 does :cool: )

I think what it really boils down to is that hardcore AV folk dont want to be seen playing their Blu Rays on a console...

T

TLT

Thanks for the reply AML.

Your view is exactly right about the quality.

Just strange and funny that people are being ripped of 'big style'.

Cheers:smashin:

Smak

Prominent Member
W

wallace3d

It was rumoured that the PS3 cost sony just over 800 a piece, so if you took that added some profit and sold it in a local retailer you would probably pay around 1000 so in theory its not really any cheaper, and you get a lot more in the box.

Just as JamesOD mentioned already, Sony, (as well as Microsoft) take big losses on there consoles at launch, in this case Sony more than Microsoft.

Apparently Nintendo are making profits from day 1 on the Wii, and I think Microsoft might be making a profit now on the 360.

T

TLT

Thanks for the post wallace but until I can see the facts and the true article then I will beleive what your saying but up until then I dont think what your saying is true.

You shouldnt listen to everything that people say.

I'm sure sony have hidden figures that no-one knows and they give out completely different figures to the piblic to what they actually have.

Show some proof and I'll believe that:smashin:

it only just take a bit of common sense to see that sony are making a loss on each of these machines. $500 for a games console/computer and entainment system in one. With the Bluerays costing about $1000. It's like the printers theory, they sell printers cheap but markup on the ink cartridges to make the money back. Same with ps3 and ps3 games.

W

wallace3d

Here are a couple of links to an article by technology analysis firm iSuppli that circulated a short while ago.

They essentially broke down the PS3 into components and then priced them at an estimated cost to Sony.

http://www.fabtech.org/content/view/2153/

http://www.betanews.com/article/PlayStation_3_Loses_as_Much_as_307_Per_Unit_Sold/1163688668

Although this is no official word on cost, it is a rough guide, and at the end of the day these prices change quickly, so it will probably cost less now to make than it did 6 months ago.

Japanese site Toyokeizai Online has a similiar article on the Wii, here is a link to the article on DailyTech

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5391

grey torq

Established Member
I have had my PS3 now for about 3 weeks and use it mostly as a Blu-ray player, I have watched the following
Talladega Nights, Ice Age 2, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Sleepy Hollow and Tears of the Sun.
Without reservation the PQ projected onto a 240mm x135mm screen is marvellous and this is at 720p resolution and will look better with a 1080p resolution projector. Apart from the detail the real noticeable aspects are the lack of any motion blur when action sequences kick off, everything stays sharp and pans fast & smooth.
The nasty side effect is that when you go back to a DVD it looks like someone has just slightly tweaked it out of focus, then you realise that now you know how good it should look going back isn’t easy!!!
Equally as impressive is the audio quality, just using bitstream through optical into the lexicon which obviously adds Logic 7 on top, sounds better than any DVD I’ve heard, Ice Age 2 and Tears of the Sun are particularly outstanding.
Like it or not whatever Sony have done with the PS3, it is an exceptional audiophile piece of equipment and represents real value for money. If it played region 2 PAL DVD’s (20% of my collection) then my Arcam DV78 would be on ebay – that’s how good it is as many on the AVS forums agree. The other members of the Blu-ray group must have wished it was worse than their 1st generation stand alones but it isn’t.
The fan noise is no louder than the projector fan and steps up and down with regard to how hot the PS3 gets - a normal room with the right hand side of the PS3 unrestricted means that the fan stays at an acceptable non-intrusive level.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Where the PS3 fails to meet the standards set by the standalones is not on PQ (although be in no doubt Gen 2 BluRay players are likely to offer a significant improvement)...it's on the audio front. If you have an HDMI capable receiver (that can handle multi-channel PCM) then it can do a reasonable job - if not you are at a serious disadvantage. The best element of the new BluRay discs is the improvement in sound brought about by the Linear PCM soundtracks found on many releases - the standalones can output this via their 5.1 (or more) outputs. The PS3 requires you to use HDMI.

On top of this standalones have lots of other 'little' features that make them better choices for many: LCD display, wife friendly functionality (no square, circle, triangle, cross buttons), looks and AV features centred around the desires of enthusiasts as opposed to average joe users.

grey torq

Established Member
Where the PS3 fails to meet the standards set by the standalones is not on PQ (although be in no doubt Gen 2 BluRay players are likely to offer a significant improvement)...it's on the audio front. If you have an HDMI capable receiver (that can handle multi-channel PCM) then it can do a reasonable job - if not you are at a serious disadvantage. The best element of the new BluRay discs is the improvement in sound brought about by the Linear PCM soundtracks found on many releases - the standalones can output this via their 5.1 (or more) outputs. The PS3 requires you to use HDMI.

On top of this standalones have lots of other 'little' features that make them better choices for many: LCD display, wife friendly functionality (no square, circle, triangle, cross buttons), looks and AV features centred around the desires of enthusiasts as opposed to average joe users.

Thanks for another incredibly well informed posting.
Gen 2 to offer 'significant improvement' - How do you know this ? Work on designing hardware do you?
I am not at a 'serious disadvantage' I have just explained that full bitrate DTS & DD sound significantly better through my setup. I acknowledge Linear PCM is lossless and might be better but all Blu-ray discs are not going this way. DTS - HD & Dolby TrueHD could become standard. I would be forking out £700 for a new receiver that would not be in the same class as the Lexicon for anything else apart from Blu-ray playback of Linear PCM material.
What you need to justify is double the price for slight advantages, personally I can live with the PS3 because the real clincher is if HD-DVD wins the format war you can still play all you Blu-ray discs and have a great games console as well.

onkeh

Prominent Member
None of this really answer the question though.

I remember lots of forum members ribbing the PS3 (before it was even out) on its BD playback abilites.

As it turns out its a pretty good player and easily on par with whats out just now. Im sure eventually a stand alone player will over take the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. But at the moment its a pretty good player and a bargain.

Just because a stand alone may have better components, doesnt mean that its going to be a better player over all.

At the end of the day if it does 1080p and DTS HD/Dolby True HD then its good enough for me.

(By the way, I beleive that most stand alone players out now DONT support DTS HD and True HD while the PS3 does :cool: )

I think what it really boils down to is that hardcore AV folk dont want to be seen playing their Blu Rays on a console...

I guess but I was trying out 甘い人生 on my PS3 and to be quite frank the picture sucks compared to my Sony stand-alone player.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I am not at a 'serious disadvantage' I have just explained that full bitrate DTS & DD sound significantly better through my setup. I acknowledge Linear PCM is lossless and might be better but all Blu-ray discs are not going this way.
Lossless PCM is the way many studios (other than Fox) are choosing to go. As things stand now there are many, many more discs with Linear PCM than DTS-HD MA. And the benefit is this is a mandatory codec ergo all BluRay players must support it - DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are both optional.

All you need to enjoy Linear PCM is 5.1 outputs on your player (which the PS3 does not have) and 5.1 inputs on your receiver (which almost all have).

Smak

Prominent Member
I guess but I was trying out 甘い人生 on my PS3 and to be quite frank the picture sucks compared to my Sony stand-alone player.

Which Sony player?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom