Blu-Ray Drives: Quietest 5.25" Tray Models When Playing BD Movies

chang14

Standard Member
For my new "mid ("mini") tower pc build, I want to use a 5.25" BD drive to play BD movies via JRiver Media Center

Currently, I have free access to Panasonic SW-5584-C and Plextor PX-891SAF BD drives.

Of course, with the tower several feet from my ears and with my surround sound system going I wouldn't expect much if any drive noise to be noticeable. However, have you used one or more specific models or brands of BD drives, which were found to consistently produce low mechanical or vibration noise when playing 1080p BD movies?

Conversely, which model drives have you found to generate very noticeable noise during BD movie playback?

Also do most BD drives get very warm when playing full length BD movies?

And/or have you noticed if your tower's case fans run any faster/noisier during BD movie playback?

Lastly, do you find that playing (never or rarely burning) BD movies more often on BD drives than playing them on your standalone BD player tends to shorten BD drive life?

next010

Distinguished Member
Jriver cannot play Blu-ray natively, it requires AnyDVD running in the background to decrypt the video.

People really dont use their PC's for playing blu-ray any more these days, noise and heat simply shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing that would make your PC possibly louder is if there is no GPU with built in hardware video decode, then the CPU would have to software decode it, but that is also very unlikely with a new PC.

Why not just get a USB Blu-ray drive, they are very cheap these days and it can be moved around.

chang14

Standard Member
Jriver cannot play Blu-ray natively, it requires AnyDVD running in the background to decrypt the video.

People really dont use their PC's for playing blu-ray any more these days, noise and heat simply shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing that would make your PC possibly louder is if there is no GPU with built in hardware video decode, then the CPU would have to software decode it, but that is also very unlikely with a new PC.

Why not just get a USB Blu-ray drive, they are very cheap these days and it can be moved around.
Yes, I just recently saw the light about external USB BD drives; silly to have a BD drive in a tower pc as it restricts air flow and makes the case heavier.

Yes, JRiver and AnyDVD HD is my plan not only to play BDMVs, as JRiver player is probably the only Windows player offering (via a learning remote) fully functional zoom control over "zoom enabled" BDMVs. Ditto over those BDMVs which were deliberately-or unknowingly by a default setting in the authoring software-zoom disabled. I believe the latter is true at least with Criterion Collection and Shout!Factory BDMV titles. Happily, all of my Warners and almost all Twilight Time and Kino Lorber BDMVs are zoom enabled.

Yes, I'm one of those strange people who enjoys clicking on slow motion and/or zoom for some moments. I find that it often allows more intimacy with landscapes, people and the action during select scenes, albeit perhaps at some loss of apparent resolution. You probably won't find a single decent quality DVD player (e.g., my JVC XV-NA70BK) without both slow motion and zoom, while almost no BD players have zoom, at least fully functional zoom, like my Pioneer LX500. No doubt those thugs from the BD Assn killed off any incentive for Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Marantz and most others to include zoom, though don't ask me why the zoom in my Oppo 95 and all Oppo BD players won't let you shift the desired part of the zoomed image to center it on the screen.

BUT here's the BIG question: Will the BDMV's decrypted video outputted via HDMI will be accepted by my Sony OLED? The decoded DTS MA will be sent to this multichannel DAC.
exaSound Audio Design > Products > e68 8-channel DAC So will the TV's HDMI's CP kill my plans?

Sadly and quite surprisingly, JRiver doesn't do slow motion, at least not without problemsl; users say it launches these pop ups when you try to using the feature. I had PMed Matt Ashland at
Audiophile Style who said to post here to start a discussion among developers. INTERACT FORUM - Index But so far no replies to fix this slo mo bug.

next010

Distinguished Member
BUT here's the BIG question: Will the BDMV's decrypted video outputted via HDMI will be accepted by my Sony OLED? The decoded DTS MA will be sent to this multichannel DAC.
exaSound Audio Design > Products > e68 8-channel DAC So will the TV's HDMI's CP kill my plans?

Sadly and quite surprisingly, JRiver doesn't do slow motion, at least not without problemsl; users say it launches these pop ups when you try to using the feature. I had PMed Matt Ashland at
Audiophile Style who said to post here to start a discussion among developers. INTERACT FORUM - Index But so far no replies to fix this slo mo bug.

The PC/windows is what's generating the video signal not Jriver which is just running in windows environment so there's no reason it shouldn't work, anydvd decrypts the video of the disc so Jriver can play it.

The only remaining official BD player on PC is Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra, you might want to check if that has the features your looking for.

Kodi and Mediaportal are alternatives to Jriver and may have zoom modes also.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom