• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-Ray DLNA

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Hello....

I have a basic NAS set up and would like a blu-ray player that can also stream HD video from the NAS. I have a Sony s370 at present which doesn't, I've looked at Sony s480 & s570 both of which state on their web site that they are able to stream HD formats over DLNA.....but when I look at the manuals for these players it states.....

The player can only play standard definition
video on a DLNA server

Now I don't know If this is a typo and it should read "standard def from a server" either way I don't think I'm prepared to gamble.

Does anybody know of a player that can stream HD over DLNA with HD audio? format isn't really a problem yet as I've only just started my video library....but .evo and blu-ray structure would be nice...

Thanks,
Mojo

MarkE19

DLNA is very restricted in what formats it can handle and wont allow you to use a full disc rip with the disc menu. Therefore I would suggest forgetting DLNA and going for a full spec media player as an addition to your current BDP, or even getting a media player with a BluRay drive. These will use standard SMB or NFS network protocoles and will stream a full BluRay rip from NAS to the player allowing full access to all the discs features (subject to the media players features).

I'm a Dune media player owner and very happy with what they can do and they offer options with or without a BluRay drive - http://www.my-htpc.co.uk/shop/category_7/Dune-HD-Media-Players.html?shop_param=cid=&

Mark.

NX3

As MarkE19 replied or get a full on media player would be a much better solution without so many restrictions.

next010

Distinguished Member
Those Sony players will not play Blu-ray's through DLNA anyway even if you ripped to MKV so getting another player is your only option.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Thanks all for the replies.....:smashin:

I think you are all correct, I think my best option is to go for a dedicated media player to run along side my BDP..

I will eventually connect 5 tv's onto my network.....one of which will go through an AV amp, can anybody suggest a sub £100 network media player that is a "play all", 1080p, pass through HD audio, down mix If required....and is reliable...:rolleyes:

thanks again...
Mojo

MarkE19

Well if your AV system has HDMI inputs that can extract the HD audio then the Dune TV101 is an excellent player.

Dune TV101 Review

Mark.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Those Sony players will not play Blu-ray's through DLNA anyway even if you ripped to MKV so getting another player is your only option.

The BDP-S370 will stream MKV over DLNA, sadly most DLNA servers attribute an incorrect profile when the BDP-S370 connects meaning that MKV's do not appear in the file list or do appear and won't play.

MiniDLNA (Opensource Linux DLNA server which is also used on Netgear readyNAS and Stora's NAS's) will however stream MKV to the BDP-S370...

struggles a little with high bitrate stuff but I have had some success with it.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Thanks Uridium,

That's very interesting.....but unfortunately I have a ZyXEL-NSA310..:rolleyes:..so my cheaper option would be to get a dedicated media player....

Mojo

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom