Question Blu-ray disc with BLUE play-side?

Marky Bear

Hi,
From fleabay I've just received a Blu-ray of 'Captain Marvel'.
It's a UK release, even though it's arrived in an 11mm (spine-depth) case, but oddly the back/play-side of the disc is blue rather than silver. (See photo of a side-by-side comparison with another of my Blu-ray discs)
It plays without issue, but I've never seen a 'blue' disc before and cannot find anything on the 'net to suggest what the deal is.
Any explanations would be appreciated please (my main concern is that it's not a high-quality bootleg.)
Thanks in advance.

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

samdavies

Distinguished Member
unless im mistaken CM was released with disc art in the UK (mine was anyway) NOT the blue of old disney colour as above. looks a touch fishy to me, think it's a home copy personally, especially as disney will not have used that bluray case either.

Side note, you've posted this in the steelbook forum by mistake bud ;):smashin:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Its a fake.
Blue play side means that was originally a BD-R blank disk.
The original disc was probably ripped to an ISO then copies burned and sold.
That is what you have there.

Marky Bear

unless im mistaken CM was released with disc art in the UK (mine was anyway) NOT the blue of old disney colour as above. looks a touch fishy to me, think it's a home copy personally, especially as disney will not have used that bluray case either.

Side note, you've posted this in the steelbook forum by mistake bud ;):smashin:
Thanks for that.
My mate has another blu-ray of Captain Marvel I just looked at and the disc fronts are the same - both a plain blue print.

Posting in the steelbook section.... ever since AVF did the website overhaul if I click on a side-link it takes me to another section! Believe me, I clicked on blu ray discs...

IT Troll

The give away is the lack of a serial and barcode in the centre. All genuine "pressed" discs will have this. The packaging on these fakes can be very good. I've been caught out before with a boxset which was shrink wrapped and had a slip box. All looked, it wasn't until I flipped over a disk some time later that I discovered they were copies. Clearly mass produced though.

Marky Bear

Its a fake.
Blue play side means that was originally a BD-R blank disk.
The original disc was probably ripped to an ISO then copies burned and sold.
That is what you have there.
I can believe that, although the disc front is very well done if it's a bootleg print. Cheers anyway.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that.
My mate has another blu-ray of Captain Marvel I just looked at and the disc fronts are the same - both a plain blue print.

Posting in the steelbook section.... ever since AVF did the website overhaul if I click on a side-link it takes me to another section! Believe me, I clicked on blu ray discs...
Looked at a couple of Blu-ray unboxing videos on youtube and it looks like the legit standalone (1 disc) Blu-ray release was actually a plain blue disc without artwork. I suspect the guys on here (myself included) have got the 3d/4K releases which do indeed have the artwork on the 2D/3D/4K discs. If your friend's copy is plain blue but with silver disc (data side) then I would say his is probably legit.

These unboxing videos seem to be legit as the slipcover, blu-ray case and even the cellophane wrap looks correct.

I would still say yours is a fake as the blue colour (data side) indicates that it was a BD-R as the blue is due to the coloured dye used for recording.

If you put it in a Blu-ray player and press stop so it goes back to the player home/menu screen, it will quite often say BD-R or BD-data or something (not just say Blu-ray disc etc like your genuine discs).

Last edited:

Marky Bear

We (mate and I) had a brain wave! Look at the disc properties.
My 'blue' copy shows half as much written date on the disc!
And it was written a good 12-weeks after my mates 'legit' copy (shown on right).
sbs.jpg

Stitched up like a kipper!
Many thanks for the advice though, peeps - much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom