Blu Ray Audio Output Levels Incorrect? Causes low Dialogue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kal_el, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kal_el

kal_el
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,
    Ok so my mate has a samsung Blu Ray Player, an analog cambridge audio amp, and a LG Flat Screen TV. He wanted the audio to go out of his Blu Ray into the amp and hence to the speakers. So he took the left and right analog output via phono from blu ray player, into the amp and into his speakers. One problem however, the dialog levels are fairly low, and the effects sound far too loud.

He thought maybe it was an issue with the output, so took the headphone output of the TV and into the Amp. But alas the same problem.

The things I checked were first off:
    The audio settings on the blu ray player as a default output. This was set to Dolby Digital 5.1.....now the only issue I have here is surely I wouldnt be able to hear anything at all if it was outputting dolby digital only because that wouldnt be being sent down the Analog phono outputs as it is a digital stream.... so that was my first concern -(the deck wouldnt allow me to change the output to stereo only)

The only other thing that sprung to mind was that his speakers are out of phase. And not correctly wired. The centre of the image between his two gale monitors was not very clear, so I thought "a ha!" the speakers are wired wrong, but I didnt think this would affect the dialogues in this way.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Normally you would connect a BD player to a receiver , and either feed it with HDMI or Optical /Co ax out.

Im assuming your trying to get the best output you can from a stereo amp.

5.1 Dolby digital or DTS is actually 6 discreet tracks , and to get them to output of analog left and right stereo there has to be some kind of a mixdown , and usually its not going to sound great depending on the gear.

Analog stereo outputs sound best with a stereo source , so if your playing a BD over them , its best to go into the BD menu and select a stereo version of the soundtrack if it exists.

You dont say what player or what amp , being specific here is more likely to get you an usable answer , as there are no general rules for getting the best analog stereo output out of what is essentially a multi channel piece of gear.