Blu-Ray and UHD Ripping

Thanks again. I have e mailed the Ebay seller to see what to try next

@bay73 I'm not that experienced, but I drive an iMac and stream via Plex to the system listed below. I have a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-212DBK. I use an internal drive externally with an adapter. The adapter is much cheaper than any housing I could find and works fine. I sit the burner on a square of dense foam and it's pretty quiet.

You might want to go online to find how to put an eject button in the menu bar. It's simple, but I forget how I did it.

I use MakeMPV. The Blu-ray rips are about 35-40 Gb, but the .mp4 files I've ripped from Handbrake are about 8 Gb and look pretty d*mn good. Depends how much storage space you've got, I guess.

None of this compares to watching a 4K disc on my Panny player, though.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I ordered an LG UHD friendly drive that should arrive today. Will try it out on my Windows 7 HTPC asap with MakeMKV. Then I need to see which device is best suited for playback> I have an Xbox One X with Kodi and Plex on it as well as a 4k Firestick with Kodi and Plex on it.

It will be interesting to see if you have any problems ripping any of your discs with make MKV and the LG. I have about 20 discs that will not rip, hashcheck errors.

I have since purchased DVDFab and all bit one (Black Hawk Down) has ripped without any problems.

Yes, will let you know how it goes....don't plan on ripping them all just yet. Any discs you'd like me to try...if i have it?

The only one that does not rip with either Make MKV and DVDFab is Black Hawk Down UHD, which is odd as it plays without problems on a UHD blu ray player. From memory some of the others that would not rip were John Wick 2, Apollo 13, Bourne Supremacy and Jason Bourne.

I still have more to rip, but won't be doing them for a couple of weeks.

Installed the LG WH16SN40 drive last night that I bought off Amazon. Popped it into my Windows 7 HTPC, worked no problem. Then I flashed it to the recommended FW from MakeMKV and that worked no problem. Popped in my first 4k UHD disc (Flash Gordon), read it no problem. 74GB or so, said it would take 1 hour 7 mins to rip, so did not proceed (it was late).

Put some other discs in to see it read them OK which it did (tenet, Solo).

Will start ripping a few today, then see what device I can play them back on !

I couldn't get my 4K Firestick to play local 4K files, I don't think it has the balls to do that. Streaming 4K is a different kettle of fish though.

So just ripped Tenet to my NAS. Tried Kodi and Plax on the 4K Firestick....it played but seemed to have little stutters in it. Then I tried Kodi on my Xbox One X and it started playing it back fine.

The Xbox is wired to the router, to the NAS, whereas the Firestick is wifi so that may explain it.

I need to try it later on my 4k Projector because I only viewed it on my 108-p TV for now. So will check to see if the Xbox (Kodi) displays HDR correctly as well.

But so far ripping went well and I may have found a playback device !

Quick update on my quest for a playback device - last night I fired up my Epson 4k capable projector to see how the 2 ripped discs played back over the network.

• Xbox One X w/Kodi: played Flash Gordon but only in 1080p SDR fixed to 50hz. I tried to force Kodi into 4k but it just stalled/crashed. Tenet played fine in 24hz, but in 8 bit 4k SDR
  • Xbox One X w/Plex: struggled to even launch Flash Gordon but when did was stuttery. Tenet was better.
  • 4K Firestick w/Kodi: struggled with Flash, but again better with Tenet
  • 4k Firestick w/Plex: both films played back in 4K HDR 24hz. Flash Gordon struggled to stream over wifi so buffered every minute, whereas Tenet played fine over Wifi. I think it because Flash Gordon has a higher bit rate (91mbps to 70mbps). Both have DTS HD MA soundtracks, but I don't think the firestick supports that codec....showing up as Dolby Digital with Dolby Surround.
  • Also tried my Panasonic UHD player (420) over its network capabilities. Flash Gordon was all stuttery. Tenet played back ok but no sound !

Conclusion to date - so far the Firestick with Plex seems to be the better player in terms of outputting 4k, 24hz and HDR, but not for sound I may buy the ethernet adaptor for it (£14) to see if that solves the buffering issue.

Might rip a disc with Atmos to see how that works with both machines.

Quick update on my quest for a playback device - last night I fired up my Epson 4k capable projector to see how the 2 ripped discs played back over the network.

• Xbox One X w/Kodi: played Flash Gordon but only in 1080p SDR fixed to 50hz. I tried to force Kodi into 4k but it just stalled/crashed. Tenet played fine in 24hz, but in 8 bit 4k SDR
  • Xbox One X w/Plex: struggled to even launch Flash Gordon but when did was stuttery. Tenet was better.
  • 4K Firestick w/Kodi: struggled with Flash, but again better with Tenet
  • 4k Firestick w/Plex: both films played back in 4K HDR 24hz. Flash Gordon struggled to stream over wifi so buffered every minute, whereas Tenet played fine over Wifi. I think it because Flash Gordon has a higher bit rate (91mbps to 70mbps). Both have DTS HD MA soundtracks, but I don't think the firestick supports that codec....showing up as Dolby Digital with Dolby Surround.
  • Also tried my Panasonic UHD player (420) over its network capabilities. Flash Gordon was all stuttery. Tenet played back ok but no sound !

Conclusion to date - so far the Firestick with Plex seems to be the better player in terms of outputting 4k, 24hz and HDR, but not for sound I may buy the ethernet adaptor for it (£14) to see if that solves the buffering issue.

Might rip a disc with Atmos to see how that works with both machines.
Im keeping a close eye on your updates mate, as i would like to do something similar, but i may go the seperate media player route, with a large HDD attached via USB with the films backed upon, instead if trying to stream it..wonder if that would be more stable?

Im keeping a close eye on your updates mate, as i would like to do something similar, but i may go the seperate media player route, with a large HDD attached via USB with the films backed upon, instead if trying to stream it..wonder if that would be more stable?
Yeah I thought of doing the same....I have a spare 1TB USB drive that I could hook into the Xbox, but that still won't solve the HDR/framerate/audio formats. It seems like each device has some compromise so far. To be honest, it may be that I just have to revert to the disc for the full Audio Quality and Picture Quality experience, whereas I can at least get the PQ from a rip, if not the full AQ.

I'll keep trying though. Let me know how you get on.

Quick update - in addition to the UHD friendly drive, I also installed a GT1030 graphics card (low end but capable for 4k) to see if my HTPC could play back the rips I made of the discs. So, its been a mixed experience so far. Both playback fine in 1080p, which is OK but not the real goal of 4K HDR 24fps.

I've ripped Tenet and Flash Gordon. Using MadVR (which i've never used before) I can get Tenet to playback in 4K HDR at 24hz....so spot on, and its seems pretty smooth. Flash Gordon however doesn't have video, i.e. its a blank screen but there's audio and the projector is forced in HDR mode as well, so not sure what's going on there.

I might rip a few more to see how they playback.

@bay73 I'm not that experienced, but I drive an iMac and stream via Plex to the system listed below. I have a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-212DBK. I use an internal drive externally with an adapter. The adapter is much cheaper than any housing I could find and works fine. I sit the burner on a square of dense foam and it's pretty quiet.

You might want to go online to find how to put an eject button in the menu bar. It's simple, but I forget how I did it.

I use MakeMPV. The Blu-ray rips are about 35-40 Gb, but the .mp4 files I've ripped from Handbrake are about 8 Gb and look pretty d*mn good. Depends how much storage space you've got, I guess.

None of this compares to watching a 4K disc on my Panny player, though.
HI, was your Pioneer BDR-212DBK capable of playing 4K? Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom