Thanks again. I have e mailed the Ebay seller to see what to try next
Im keeping a close eye on your updates mate, as i would like to do something similar, but i may go the seperate media player route, with a large HDD attached via USB with the films backed upon, instead if trying to stream it..wonder if that would be more stable?Quick update on my quest for a playback device - last night I fired up my Epson 4k capable projector to see how the 2 ripped discs played back over the network.
- Xbox One X w/Kodi: played Flash Gordon but only in 1080p SDR fixed to 50hz. I tried to force Kodi into 4k but it just stalled/crashed. Tenet played fine in 24hz, but in 8 bit 4k SDR
- Xbox One X w/Plex: struggled to even launch Flash Gordon but when did was stuttery. Tenet was better.
- 4K Firestick w/Kodi: struggled with Flash, but again better with Tenet
- 4k Firestick w/Plex: both films played back in 4K HDR 24hz. Flash Gordon struggled to stream over wifi so buffered every minute, whereas Tenet played fine over Wifi. I think it because Flash Gordon has a higher bit rate (91mbps to 70mbps). Both have DTS HD MA soundtracks, but I don't think the firestick supports that codec....showing up as Dolby Digital with Dolby Surround.
- Also tried my Panasonic UHD player (420) over its network capabilities. Flash Gordon was all stuttery. Tenet played back ok but no sound !
Conclusion to date - so far the Firestick with Plex seems to be the better player in terms of outputting 4k, 24hz and HDR, but not for sound I may buy the ethernet adaptor for it (£14) to see if that solves the buffering issue.
Might rip a disc with Atmos to see how that works with both machines.
Yeah I thought of doing the same....I have a spare 1TB USB drive that I could hook into the Xbox, but that still won't solve the HDR/framerate/audio formats. It seems like each device has some compromise so far. To be honest, it may be that I just have to revert to the disc for the full Audio Quality and Picture Quality experience, whereas I can at least get the PQ from a rip, if not the full AQ.Im keeping a close eye on your updates mate, as i would like to do something similar, but i may go the seperate media player route, with a large HDD attached via USB with the films backed upon, instead if trying to stream it..wonder if that would be more stable?