Blu-Ray and UHD Ripping

bay73

Not sure if this is the right forum but I would appreciate some advice/direction.

I would like to rip copies of my movies from disk to my Synology NAS so I can watch films via my Apple TV 4K.

Currently running a 5.1 system so no need for Atmos playback at the moment but I will need that option in the future so disks need to be ripped with that in mind.

Can anyone recommend an external DVD writer to hook up to my MacBook Pro for ripping duties?

Also any recommendations on S/W for ripping duties and the best streaming app to use on the Apple TV? I have download Plex but there are probably alternatives?

Thanks

Captain Ron

On the ripping side of things I would recommend AnyDVD HD and a "UHD friendly" drive. As it's an external drive you want I recommend getting a standard form factor one (preferably from a supplier that pre-loads it with a UHD friendly firmware) and putting it in a suitable external enclosure. Alternatively, if you have access to a PC with a standard form factor optical drive you could temporarily switch it out with a bought UHD friendly drive and perform any required firmware UHD friendly update there and then transfer the modified drive to an external enclosure for use with your MacBook. Not beinf Mac familiar I don't know if there any external enclosures that will allow you to flash an external drive to UHD friendly but some googling should give you the answers there. On my PC I use an Asus BD-16D1HT which has been flashed to be UHD friendly and I can backup anything (except SACD) with that drive using AnyDVD HD. As for network software for the playback of the files Plex and Emby are the ones I would look at.

bay73

On the ripping side of things I would recommend AnyDVD HD and a "UHD friendly" drive. As it's an external drive you want I recommend getting a standard form factor one (preferably from a supplier that pre-loads it with a UHD friendly firmware) and putting it in a suitable external enclosure. Alternatively, if you have access to a PC with a standard form factor optical drive you could temporarily switch it out with a bought UHD friendly drive and perform any required firmware UHD friendly update there and then transfer the modified drive to an external enclosure for use with your MacBook. Not beinf Mac familiar I don't know if there any external enclosures that will allow you to flash an external drive to UHD friendly but some googling should give you the answers there. On my PC I use an Asus BD-16D1HT which has been flashed to be UHD friendly and I can backup anything (except SACD) with that drive using AnyDVD HD. As for network software for the playback of the files Plex and Emby are the ones I would look at.
Thanks @Captain Ron

The only PC I have access to is a work HP Prodesk with no optical drive plus I am not the administrator on it so unlikely I will be able to successfully download software to it, so best stick to the MacBook Pro.

I see a number of people on here use Makemkv for ripping. Any experience with that software?

Damp Squid

I'm in the process of ripping my UHD disc collection, and will be playing them using a Zappiti media player from a 12TB WD Element HDD.

I bought a UHD friendly drive from ebay, with the firmware already flashed, and use Make MKV as the ripping software. The only problem i have encountered in the process are disc errors which mean some disc cannot be ripped. I'm looking into what could be causing this.

Providing you have a computer, a UHD friendly drive and a large storage capacity drive, then the process is fairly easy and takes around 1 hour per movie.

Captain Ron

@bay73 If you want to preserve Dolby Vision and Atmos in your ripped files be sure that your ripping software is capable of generating files with those features and that the target system for playing them on is also capable. I think the Apple TV might struggle with Dolby Vision encoded MKVs as DV has only recently been added to the MKV format officially. Someone with more Apple hardware knowledge than me can probably clarify.

bay73

I'm in the process of ripping my UHD disc collection, and will be playing them using a Zappiti media player from a 12TB WD Element HDD.

I bought a UHD friendly drive from ebay, with the firmware already flashed, and use Make MKV as the ripping software. The only problem i have encountered in the process are disc errors which mean some disc cannot be ripped. I'm looking into what could be causing this.

Providing you have a computer, a UHD friendly drive and a large storage capacity drive, then the process is fairly easy and takes around 1 hour per movie.
Thanks @Damp Squid and will probably go along the pre-flashed drive.

Would be interested to know when you get to the bottom of the disc errors. Good luck!

next010

Distinguished Member
Hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.

From what I have read makemkv seems the most popular software solution.

MakeMKV will rip raw video to .mkv container.

DVDFab can convert Dolby Vision video into a version the AppleTV 4K can play via MrMC.

• Dolby Vision profile 8 (dual layer used by Blu-ray) is not supported by the ATV 4K.
  • Dolby Vision profile 5 (single layer) is supported by the ATV 4K.
  • iPhone Dolby Vision profile 8.1 is a separate thing derived from HLG HDR.
  • Plex fakes Dolby Vision support, its really just outputting HDR10.

Thats my current understanding, so the ATV cannot play raw Blu-ray DV video, if doing 1:1 backups via MakeMKV only rip the HDR10 version.

MrMC and InFuse are the best media players for the ATV 4K and connect to Emby, Jellyfin and Plex media servers.

bay73

@next010 - Appreciate the response but please excuse my naivety as this is a new area for me.

I do not want to add additional hardware to my set-up so will continue to use my Apple TV 4K.

Am about to order a drive pre-flashed with makemkv as I do not want to spend time faffing about installing the firmware on a new drive.

98% of the films I want to rip are Blu-Ray so Dolby Vision not so important at the moment and if I end up watch more of my films than those on Netflix/Amazon TV/Disney+ then I may look at new hardware and to increase my UHD library.

next010

Distinguished Member
@next010 - Appreciate the response but please excuse my naivety as this is a new area for me.

I do not want to add additional hardware to my set-up so will continue to use my Apple TV 4K.

Am about to order a drive pre-flashed with makemkv as I do not want to spend time faffing about installing the firmware on a new drive.

98% of the films I want to rip are Blu-Ray so Dolby Vision not so important at the moment and if I end up watch more of my films than those on Netflix/Amazon TV/Disney+ then I may look at new hardware and to increase my UHD library.

As long as you avoid ripping DV video stream you are fine, you dont need new hardware the ATV4K is sufficient for everything else.

Vila

I have a Synology NAS and have ripped all my Blu Rays for years for Kodi and now Zappiti.

Have always used MakeMKV very successfully.

Ive recently switched over to a 4K compatible projector and had set about ripping all the 4k discs I have.

I just did it as a background task over Christmas but have found very painfully like you that many of them have problems with macroblocking and skips.

Damp Squid

Approximately 1/4 of the UHD discs i ripped had hashcheck errors during the ripping process and therefore the ripping process would not complete.

Did none of the disc you ripped have hashcheck errors during ripping?.

Looking online, the most common remedy for hashcheck errors is making sure the discs are as clean as possible. Even after cleaning them as well as i could, the errors persisted.

I haven't got round to checking the successful rips to see how they look.

next010

Distinguished Member
If your getting hashcheck errors most likely
1 - bad optical drive if media isn't damaged
2 - bad system ram so the data is being corrupted in real time.

Try running memtest86+

Vila

Did none of the disc you ripped have hashcheck errors during ripping?.

They weren’t hashceck errors from memory. And all of my discs compleated ripping but I remember quite a few discs having av sync errors

When I went to play back the file on my Zappiti many of the films had obvious frame skips and macro blocking on the screen - I checked some of them in Kodi and infuse and they had the same issues in the same point.

Many of those with problems where previously untouched discs so I’m slightly hesitant to believe it’s dirty discs!

Damp Squid

I think all of my successful rips said there were AV sync issues on the MKV panel. Will have to check the discs i have ripped to see they play ok.

The discs that do not rip due to hashcheck errors look fine to the naked eye. Even after cleaning they still don't rip, i'm at a loss what to try next.

jont

Also any recommendations on S/W for ripping duties and the best streaming app to use on the Apple TV? I have download Plex but there are probably alternatives?

Thanks
I use Infuse with my ATV 4K to playback rips from my QNAP NAS ... v good and less NAS intensive than Plex ...

paulkebab

Standard Member
The discs that do not rip due to hashcheck errors look fine to the naked eye. Even after cleaning they still don't rip, i'm at a loss what to try next.

I had many discs fail using makemkv, all brand new and mainly the LOTR 4K releases. The problem has been talked about a lot on the makemkv forums, some suggesting a huge batch of faulty discs but strangely playing without fault. The problem is makemkv, some of my discs just would not rip, so I tried DVDFab and everything ripped, not a single issue with 'dirty discs' 'bad sector' etc.

Damp Squid

I have downloaded DVDfab 12 in order to rip the UHD discs that make MKV would not rip. However when it reads the disc it says the drive has incompatible Firmware and gives an option to downgrade. I'm reluctant to downgrade the firmware in case it makes the drive unusable, Any advice.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Hi all - just jumping in to this thread with interest. I have a HTPC and rip my Blurays and 3D blurays to my NAS for playback on multiple devices. Its an old Windows 7 based HTPC but fine for bluray / 1080p playback. I also have ANYDVD HD.

If I just want to rip my UHDs to my NAS, do I only need a UHD friendly drive? In other words no need for a higher spec CPU, RAM, GFX card etc? I know I won't be able to playback the UHDs but to just rip them to a NAS so other devices could play them back, is that all I need?

Thanks for the help

paulkebab

Standard Member
I have downloaded DVDfab 12 in order to rip the UHD discs that make MKV would not rip. However when it reads the disc it says the drive has incompatible Firmware and gives an option to downgrade. I'm reluctant to downgrade the firmware in case it makes the drive unusable, Any advice.
Hello, yes you absolutely need a UHD friendly drive and there are people on the makemkv forum who can help you with that. I'd hang fire on the option in DVDFab, even though it is the correct way to go I don't think all drives are backwardly downgradable. It's just possible that DVDFab is throwing the right advice but it could brick your drive so be careful. Head over to makemkv to see what you need and maybe confirm that DVDFab will indeed sort your firmware out.

Damp Squid

Thanks.

The problem is that the drive is already UHD Friendly, it has cross flashed firmware and worked ok with make mkv, apart from the hashcheck errors on around a quarter of my UHD discs.

paulkebab

Standard Member
Strange, it's possible that DVDFab is looking at the firmware and sees the original version instead of the old version hence the downgrade option. I could be wrong on that so I'd contact your drive supplier, mine has been faultless but I think it was a full downgrade rather than a cross-flash.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021